Can Pebble Dash Be Sprayed With Textured Masonry Paint ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would anyone know if Pebble Dash can be successfully sprayed with a textured masonry paint such as Sandtex? If this is possible, would anyone please be able to provide the details of the type of spray equipment required?

If spraying with a textured masonry pain is out of the question, then can Pebble Dash be sprayed with a non textured masonry paint, and if so what type of spray equipment would be required?

Finally, would the Pebble Dash need to have a preliminary coat of some type of primer or sealant before painting with either a sprayer of brush?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
i guess that it could be sprayed- the gun would need use of the larger needles.

Rolling is probably a cheaper option though, and faster.

I have extension poles long enough to reach the top of the second floor, at a cost of only £30 or so. admittedly at that height it is difficult to apply sufficient pressure though.

most waterbased masonry paints are designed to be applied as is.

opps,

After a search through the forum I found a link to the Machine Mart web site and they have a spray gun called the "Clarke Air Texture Gun" that can be used to apply textured masonry paint. I need to check out the cost of purchasing the equipment against trying to hire it, or contemplate using a roller.

I will probably use scaffolding so should have good access whatever method I use. It is for painting a large area of Pebble Dash on a gable end and at a rough guesss it could be approximately 70 square metres on the gable end. In addition there is the rendering on the rear of the house and the 1st floor at the front to be painted with the masonry paint.

Going back to the masonry paint, I had thought of using Sandtex for no specific reason other than I had heard of it. Would you please be able to recommend a masonry paint as an alternative to Sandtex? I am OK with either a textured or smooth masonry paint.

Rgds
Jack

Hi jack

Smooth paint will give more coverage and will repel the dirt more.

I haven't used Sandtex for years, nothing against it but I have been happy with the Dulux Trade WeatherShield masonry paint.

I have never sprayed exterior textured paint and don't know if the clarked gun would need the paint to be thinned or not. i am pretty sure that a £1500 airless sprayer would not not need thinning.

Also remember that when full the Clarke gun will weigh about 10kg.

I would be inclined to say that for your job a roller would be better suited.

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to say that for your job a roller would be better suited.

opps,

On reflection, with scaffold access, I think that I will start painting the Pebble Dash on the gable end with a roller and see how I get on. It has the advantages of being convenient, ie, materials and equipment are instantly available at lower cost compared to sourcing a sprayer and related equipment at higher cost.

One last question re using a roller, am I correct in assuming a natural fibre roller such as lambs wool will be better than synthetic fibre for painting Pebble Dash and Rendering. I have a couple of rollers but they are 9 inch wide, I think that it would be sensible to get some wider rollers as that gable end looks large.

Thx again for your advice, it is most appreciated.

Rgds
Jack

I would stick with 9" the bigger ones are fine IF the surface is perfectly flat, ie no high or low spots etc.

i would not buy a high end sleeve, you will bin it after the job because it will be full of grit

my fav all rounder is the Purdy colossus sleeve (about a fiver) but there is normally a special on in dec merchants on the blue and white striped generic rollers.

so long as you bag the roller and tray at the end of each day you won't need to worry about washing it out, at the end ofthe job throw it away.

An expensive roller sleeve only makes sense if you can be bothered to clean it properly. My rates are too high to justify spending 30 minutes cleaning a roller, besides the quality of rollers has dropped whilst the quality has increased.

get a short extension pole, this will help you to use you body weight to roll rather than the grunt of one arm. With two arms you can work from the hip and distribute your weight more efficiently.

Rolling should be easy and not hard work. it is the fastest part of the job ordinarily, prep and protection taking much longer.

Friend of mine does this job all the time using a high pressure airless sprayer like Graco. NOT I hasten to add with sandtex which would destroy the pump and gun within one job. (Clue: s'got sand innit), Acrylic based porous wall coating (£80 15 ltrs) will do about 60 mtrs , two coats. Newest stuff (he says ????) is nanotechknowlegy (spelling probably wrong), also has heat reflection property ? Crickey :rolleyes: Same stuff the 'Never Paint again' types use. Graco can be hired.

Did my pepbble-dashed house at the weekend. Didn't do much prep, it didn't dry patchy and uneven, and used just one roller sleeve and brush. Washed the sleeve after and it's OK to use again.

Just washed the walls with a hose jet and gave them 2 coats of smooth Sandtex. Watered down the first coat about 30% which made it easier to apply and used the second coat neat. The second coat went on a doddle. Used a Hamilton extra-long pile roller sleve (9"). No big deal really.

You do get a few stones embedding in the roller on the first coat but on the second coat they are pretty much 'glued' to the wall.

Wallcoatingbloke

I must say that I find your site rather objectionable- scare tactics are the domain of the rogue.

I know little about the longevity of your product but the site is geared to "scare" people into using your service- this might not be your intentiion but never-the-less saying, for example "pebbledash job done with quality materials by a professional general builder or reputable contractor, may last for around 8 years" is balls- we both know it.

I have painted hundreds of wall with rollers and brushes and most of what you say is BS- I have no objection to "helpful/constructive" spamming, but at least be objective.

If the OP were to spray such a small area the costs would be far greater than rolling. Rolling will be fine- spraying has it's advantages but the costs are prohibitive for small jobs.

I would not have singled you out were it not for the untruths on your site. Please consider changing them, I am sure that you can make a living without the excessive and false hardsell.

pineman & opps,

Many thanks for your input after "wallcoatingbloke" made his post. As a novice, if I had only got the information to hand from "wallcoatingbloke" I may have been scare mongered into using a service like that.

However, due to the friendly help from experienced trades on this site the day of the scare monger are no more. I propose to paint the pebble dash using a Colossus roller(s) with Dulux Trade Weathershield Masonry Paint. I had thought of around 15% dilution for the 1st coat on the unpainted pebble dash followed by full thickness for the 2nd coat, however, I am open to suggestions re dilution and number of coats.

Rgds
Jack

Hi Jack

15-20% should be fine for the first coat. You might need a third coat though.

The application time however is quite low, and the 3rd coat will be the fastest to apply. Do allow sufficient drying times, slightly longer given our lack of an Indian summer.

Harleythedog gave you honest advice about spraying but given how small your area is, a brush and roller IS the best option. BTW the brush will be of binnable quality by the end of the job.

Let us know how you get on

warmest regards

that is totally unfair and yes thanks i did report your post. If you have any issues with our website, why dont you send us an email direct so we can answer your questions personally rather than , well, posting abuse at us which is wholly unfounded.

Our website, unlike many others is packed with hints and tips, NOT adverts and i reject the fact you think i am on here trying to get some free links back?

In addition i will not be playing some cat and mouse game online with whoever you are, i was just helping someone out and i did not expect the Spanish inquisition ok? Our site is very large and we cannot remember every single full stop and bullet point and if there is something that you feel you would like to ask us, there is a polite and correct way to do it.

I see that my post has been deleted...

I am evidently at a disadvantage as i don't have a right of redress.

You saw what I posted Wallcoatingsbloke- you can either choose to amend the way you conduct business or not.

I believe in treating others as I would like to be treated.

I post in this forum to help others, it is one of the few acts of altruism that I engage in. If I believe that someone is potentially misleading others I am obliged to say so.

___________________edit

I see that the link to your site has been deleted- fair play to the mods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back