Painting Old Pea Shell Pebble Dash Not Previously Painted ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope to paint a large area of pea shell pebble dash on a gable end. The pebble dash has not been painted before and is quite old.

After reading through some threads on the forum I am confused on whether I need to use a stabiliser or primer before starting with the masonry paint. Some posts say it should be sealed, others say a stabiliser will not absorb into the stone pebbles and will stop the masonry paint adhering correctly to the pebble dash?

My proposed method is to use a roller with either Dulux Trade Weathershield masonry paint or Sandtex and give it a minimum of 2 coats of masonry paint. Or, would a pliolite based masonry paint be better?

Is it necessary for me to apply a stabiliser or primer or can I just go ahead with the masonry paint directly onto the unpainted pebble dash?

Or, am I letting myself in for a thankless task and should I reconsider and save myself the hassle and settle for a dirty old pebble dashed gable end

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Jack.

There it's not wise to apply a stabiliser to either sound masonry or render, brush the wall lightly with a stiff bristle brush to remove surface dust. Don't apply to much pressure you don't want to loosen the dashing.

A water based paint would be fine, just ease the first coat with a little water, and finish with one or two further coats. You could if you wish add a small amount of water but don't overdo it. This will help the paint flow both over and between the dashing.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
As TheDec says really. Did mine like this and looks good. Although I washed the wall with a hose rather than brushed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back