Can Pex al Pex be used for hot/cold tap & shower piping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a load of left over underfloor heating pex-al-pex pipe approx 16mm diameter that I used in my undefloor heating install in my new extension.

Can I use this to connect to my 16mm copper hot/cold supply pipes that are going to feed my new shower/toliet/basin room in my extension?

If so what fittings should I use - e.g. can I use normal pushfit with pipe inserts into the Pex pipe - will they fit? Or should I use compression?

Dont really want to buy more pipe when I have enough to use for my shower etc. plus its nice and flexible to run.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
You can certainly use it.

But the cost of the special connectors to it will probably make it more expensive than just buying the normal plastic pipe.

You could also end up with more joints if you are trying to use up left overs too which increases the risk of leaks!

Tony

Hi Tony, and thanks.

The reason I want to use it is because it is one long continuous coil so there should not be that many joints.

The other reason is that I have no use for it now and it will go to waste - seems a shame.

Are the connectors that much more expensive? I take it push fit ones are no good?

Its a different size to ordinary 15 mm plumbing tube.

Like everything to do with underfloor heating its stupidly expensive!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Some makes are not suitable for potable water use so be careful, Wavin/Thermoboard/Hep2O Flexius (red pipe) for example.

If you'e using a combi boiler then it could be argued that you are connecting it to the mains water supply.

Thanks Tony, Tipper,

I won't use it. - sounds like to many uncertainties.

If yours is the white plastic layered type with a layer of aluminium then as far as I know that is quite suitable for water for showers etc.

If you have a need for two longer lengths so that only two connectors are needed per length then check the price of connectors and if acceptable then I would say use it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back