Can someone please help identify what this is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to the forum and I was wondering whether anyone could help;

I've had plaster falling off just above the skirting, I've had a google but can't seem to be certain of what it is and what the cause might be.

It is on multiple parts of the internal wall.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
why not remove the skirting from any or all the walls with these damp signs, and then
why dont you stand back and photo the whole wall and the whole adjacent walls esp. the outside wall(s)?
is this an old property?
are you on a hillside?
does this room have a suspended floor?

what you are looking at is most probably rising damp?
any other rooms showing signs?

Thank you for your reply bobasd. It's a 1930s property.

we're not on a hillside and the room does have a suspended floor. There is some damage to the lower bricks to the wall in the alleyway where the bricks have lost their face and look to be blistered.

The damage photographed is of a wall that is completely interior. No other wall show any signs of damage. I will have a go at removing the skirting.

Is this caused by anything in particular?

Sponsored Links
Raised path? Covered air bricks? (I had this in my 1930s bungalow)

it would be useful to see a ground level pics of the the front and rear elevations and the alley way?
whats the condition of the lower wall inside the house opposite the alley way damaged bricks?

as i said it looks like rising damp but in certain conditions below the floor excessive condensation can create rising damp look a like conditions in the wall above.

can you crawl under the suspended floor(s) and examine the joists for rot?
is there a chimney breast on the wall in question?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back