Can we include you in our wall planner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every so often over the last 6 years of business i have had various phone calls usually from withheld numbers asking me if i want to include my business on a wallplanner for sick kids/cancer charity/animal welfare etc.

I have always thought these to be a scam(especially when one rang up once with a screaming baby in the background) and have always to them to sling their hook and often even after this an "invoice" turns up at my address for a few hundred quid which is consequently ignored and then followed up by threatening letters which all end up in the bin.

Does anyone else get this or Has anyone ever fallen for this?

I assume they are after the credit/debit cards details.

Sponsored Links
yes i get them along with info brochures/wall planners/advice posters for schools or charitys i've apparently agreed to sponsor , phone up saying something along the lines of which local school would i like them delivered too and give us £200 ," dont you remember you agreed 6 months ago, i have the paper work you signed here"

That has happened to me, with someone saying that I told them to phone me back, that's when I ask them what my surname is. At that point they get stuck.

I have also had someone claiming that they are 25% cheaper than screwfix, so when I asked him to send me a catalogue he then said "sorry we don't have a catalogue as it cuts costs, tell me what you want and I can send it to you, just give me your credit card number and I'll do the rest"

What these people forget is that being self-employed takes a bit of common sense.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I had lots of run ins with these assholes.
What really annoys me is not the fact they are trying to con me but that they use childrens charities etc as cover.
I usually lt rip when I get a call.
:evil:

hello this is xxx on behalf of giving children with no arms legs eyeballs or stomachs holidays on canal boats you will remember you agreed to sponsor us with a mention in our poxy little wall chart that will be posted to three people not the 6,000,000 we promised but hey you are a muppet so just suck it up. we are just printing the wall planner you agreed to be in so my colleague will call you back to take your payment details.
You will be now on a database so you will get more of my scuzzy scouser colleages ringing you up to rip you off in a couple of weeks.
Have a nice day!

They are complete vermin.

The beauty about modern digital telesales centres is that there is now a one to two second silence before you connect, then you hear the loud chatting in the background so you can hang up before they even say hello. :cool:

The delay in connecting is the line finding an operator as the system dials out automatically and connects to the nearest free person.

Yes, I would be happy for my business to endorse your product.

How much are you going to pay me for my endorsement?

Childrens Charities - Get them round the boot sales :rolleyes: I don`t do stalls , I buy mostly. Total SCAM :evil:

Did anyone fall for the European Grant?

They phoned me a few times when I had my butchers business asking what I would spend the £5000 grant on if I was successful. I replied that I would spend it on new equipment etc for my business which surprisingly was the right answer and I was informed that I would be eligible.

The salelady took all my details and said she would submit my application straight away and the grant would take approx 3 weeks. :D

She then told me that there was a £295 application fee! :rolleyes:

She would not deduct the fee from my grant either but I had to pay in advance! Needless to say I told her where to put the grant. :LOL:

I do know someone who did apply (and paid the fee) and he received a load of paperwork from them telling of how to make a successful application.

He never got a penny though for his £295! :cry:

I had another scam recently. A new magazine came out where you can have an advert printed in the local magazine with 3 months for the price of 1, which seemed like a good deal. They even sent me their previous magazine as a sample, which looked OK.

I advertised with them for the initial deal of 3 months for the price of one and waited for the phone calls - none came......after 3 months I got another invoice for the next 3 months, I phoned them up and told them that I was not informed that the contract would be on a rolling basis without my go ahead and that I wanted to cancel the advert as it didn't bring any work in and it was too expensive.

They then told me to read the small print saying that I needed to give 30 days notice to cancel the advert and it was too late now......they wanted their money. The manager came on the phone saying I had signed a legal document and if I didn't pay the next installment they would send out the debt collectors.

Anyway I read the small print and one of their conditions was that I could change my advert at any time. So I made a new advert saying:

WARNING! DON'T ADVERTISE IN THIS
MAGAZINE CALL ME ON 07????-?????.

I emailed them and told them I would pay the next installment but this was the new advert I wanted them to run. Within an hour I got a phone call from one of the office staff saying that they would not print my new advert in their magazine as it would not bring in any work for me so they considered this a waste of money. I told them that if they did not print my new advert that they were breaking the contract and therefore I was not going to pay the next installment.

I tried to speak to a manager at this point but was told there wasn't one available. I later received an email from them telling me my contract had been cancelled and no further payments would be expected from me. :LOL: :LOL:

Simples, I beat them with their own terms and conditions

Andy

We get them all the time, mainly claiming to represnt the Fire Service, for some reason

Scam alert
espress.biz
So called emergency services press.
Another scouser scam outfit.

Rang the other day and got offended when i hung up on them and rang me back to complain. idiots stay well clear.
Claimed to be the police and refused to confirm they were actually a limited company who has never filed acounts.

Had one in Ipswich this week claiming the Wall planner was to raise funds for Police Community officers to set up Youth clubs to tackle youth crime, a friend of mine is a community police womble, and after asking her about it it it was clear that it was a scam!! :rolleyes:

Come on guys!!!

I'm losing money hand over fist with all these knock backs!

:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back