Can you explain this for me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking through some old posts and it mentioned that if a 2.5mm t&e ring on a 32a mcb is broken its not good. To quote BAS 'not acceptable'.

Now, I understand a broken ring becomes two radials, so we have two ciruits served by one mcb, but the post says the 32a mcb is too large.
Is this because a socket on a ring draws some curent from each side of it so each side only has to take 16a before the mcb trips? And when it becomes two radials each side has t take a full 32a before tripping the mcn there fore loading the cable too much.

Is the gist of my theory on target or way off?

Sponsored Links
when joined in a ring the cable can carry more current than as radials the 2.5mm sq effectively becomes 4mm sq, when radials, the cable rating is less than the protective device rating so the breaker doesn't protect against overload as it did before and needs to be reduced accordingly.

twm.bwen said:
Just looking through some old posts and it mentioned that if a 2.5mm t&e ring on a 32a mcb is broken its not good. To quote BAS 'not acceptable'.

Now, I understand a broken ring becomes two radials, so we have two ciruits served by one mcb, but the post says the 32a mcb is too large.
Is this because a socket on a ring draws some curent from each side of it so each side only has to take 16a before the mcb trips? And when it becomes two radials each side has t take a full 32a before tripping the mcn there fore loading the cable too much.

Is the gist of my theory on target or way off?

Thats spot on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back