Can you put concrete slabs into a concrete base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I posted a similar question in the gardening forum and did not get a response, I thought maybe I'd get more luck here. Apologies for the duplicate post, but I really need an answer on this quickly.

Can you put concrete slabs into a concrete base? (i.e. I am planning on pouring a base and wondered if I could get rid of some slabs in there and potentially save on the amount of concrete I'd need)

I plan to put in a 5m by 3m summer house and an 8ft by 6ft shed next year. I have loads of slabs from old patio and paths.

I have kept hold of them in case they can be recycled in this way, but my local council are about to start charging £4 per slab taken to the tip. This is the last weekend I can get rid of them for free.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Yes they can be broken as hardcore or even laid in the top of the concrete ( I did that for a path once using prefab garage sections )

Thanks for the quick reply. Saved me a day of running back and forth the the tip killing my car's suspension in the process!

Sponsored Links
Flog them on ebay, someone will buy them.
I would be careful adding large lumps of rubble to concrete you may find it cracks where they are. Try and get it all at the bottom and do at least 75mm of concrete (100mm would be better) or do as above and place them ontop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back