Cannot lift the tank lid on the toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Twyford toilet that has been running all weekend. I would like to fix it myself but I 'm unable to lift up the lid on the tank. I don't want to force it too much in case I break something. There are no screws, it seems to be fitted through the overflow tube. The flusher is in the middle of the lid, it's a dual flusher that you press down. Has anybody got this type of toilet? Please can somebody tell me how to remove the freaking thing?

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but some are held down by screwing the outer bezel so if you unscrew it it might come off !!!

Tony

push down one of the buttons and then pull the other button out once you have removed both button you will then see a large screw which hold the lid on - unscrew and you should be able to lift the lid off.

Rather than try to fix it at this time of the night you'd be better off isolating it if you can

Yep - I fitted a toilet like that recently. Try turning the outer ring anti-clockwise as suggested.

Sponsored Links
Well if my suggestion does not work you can "pull the other one" !

Tony

Cheers! I'm off to bed now but will try tomorrow and let you know. Many thanks!

Yep push down the big button and the little one will come out, then take the big one out and the screw is insight :rolleyes:

I think that Newboy described that type at 2327 tonight John!

Better late then never though.

I never admit to knowing anything about plumbing otherwise they will all want me to do it for them.

Tony

Ok had another look tonight. I can't turn or take off the outer bezel at all so that's out of question. So I removed both buttons but there's no screw inside. I'm screwed!!! :eek: Any more suggestions?

I am glad I dont do plumbing! At least boilers dont have that problem!

Can you turn the bezel harder? ( Its anticlockwise by the way! )

Perhaps John will have the solution later when he wakes up!

Tony

I don't think you can rotate the bezel. It's got holes in the middle through which the flush activator stems (sorry don't know how to describe it properly) are fitted. Do you know if I can post pictures on this forum?[/img]

To post a pic, first save it in Photobucket or similar, then copy and paste the img tags

It looks a bit yucky! Sorry about the clarity.
toilet.jpg

Ok, I managed to solve the problem with a little bit of force :LOL: pushed down the button activator so it's not in the way and unscrewed the outer bezel using pliers.
[/b]Thanks to everybody for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back