Torbeck bottom entry toilet valve leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About two years ago I fitted a Torbeck bottom entry toilet valve which has worked perfectly until last night.

I noticed the carpet at the rear of the toilet was damp and began searching for the source of the leak to no avail. Later last night I used the toilet and when I went to flush it something didn't sound right and water was pouring down the back of the cistern. Lifting the lid it was immediately apparent that something sudden/dramatic had happened to the valve.

Instead of water flowing through the clear tube into the cistern it was "spraying" out of the anti-syphon valve (or at least that's what I think you call it). The force of the flow was spraying water between the cistern and the lid, hence the leak and damp floor.

Any ideas why it's suddenly doing this? Does my description of events even makes sense?

torbeck-valve-components.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its common for the plastic tube to split, and the anti syphon cap just clips in....has one of the securing nibs got damaged?
John :)

I've taken it all out and inspected it and I can't see any splits, cracks or other deformities.

I just can't get my head round why water would flow through the clear tube for two years and overnight now decide to exit via the four small square holes instead at a high rate of knots and spray everywhere.

I sense a video coming soon as I'm probably not explaining this very well.

Edit - http://youtu.be/j57yjR82Neg

Sponsored Links
Take it off, dry it and superglue it back together.

I've taken it all out and inspected it and I can't see any splits, cracks or other deformities.

I just can't get my head round why water would flow through the clear tube for two years and overnight now decide to exit via the four small square holes instead at a high rate of knots and spray everywhere.

I sense a video coming soon as I'm probably not explaining this very well.

Edit - http://youtu.be/j57yjR82Neg[/QUOTE]

Chuck it away, fit a fluidmaster bottom entry, the polythene water silencer filler tube does not comply with water regulations these days.

I have a much better idea, throw it in the bin and fit a better quality valve.

I used to be a fan of torbeck, but they don't seem to last 5 mins now :mad:

I agree, I always thought they were a simple and effective repair but they are so flimsy these days that I never fit them.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the general consensus is to do away with it and replace it.

I'll sort it over the weekend.

Shame you did not get a proper reply to your problem, the result of people not realiseing what the problem was I think? The water is as you describe, flowing at some force from the clipped in T Piece that the Plastic Fill Pipe is attached too, but instead of flowing down the pipe its also squirting out through the opposite side of the T through the 4 Square Holes that you can clearly see in your diagram, and its probably nothing to do with the T not being properly located.
The Reason Im intrested is that I too have just discovered the same problem with a Side Entry version of this valve and I was on the net looking for a possible answer, I wonder, did you ever suss out what the problem was with it?
Steve.

Following on from my earlier post I spent a few mins thinking about the problem, and I guessed that inside the T Piece, which as you stated is an Anti Syphon Device, there would be a valve that would block off the exit through the square holes and direct the water down the filler tube.
Anyway today I was able to get back to it and after removeing the T Piece I was able to quite easily remove the pressed in End Cap with the Square Holes, inside the T will then be found a Rubber Flap Valve which can be tapped/slid out. When correctly fitted it should be held by being nipped by the End Cap and to help it you will see that there is a locateing notch in the Rubber and a corrosponding peg in the End Cap which positions it correctly. In my valve there appeared to be nothing broken, the Flap Valve had worked its way out from under the End Cap and made its way over so that it was partly blocking the Filler Exit. I cleaned up everything and reassembled it and its now working just fine.
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back