Torbeck bottom entry Valve problem or not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem that i dont know if its suppose to be like it or not.

Fitted a torbeck bottom entry valve in my cistern. once the water comes to required level the valve shuts off the water as normal, then after about 1 minute it starts hissing again and lets a small amount of water in again then stops for a bit then hisses again and its a continuous cycle until you flush the toilet then it starts all over again.

Is it suppose to do this as its the second one i have tried and surely both cant be faulty..

How will i overcome this problem as all you can hear all night is the hissing and stopping and hissing etc.....

:mad:

Sponsored Links
sounds like the syphon is letting water past it into the bowl hence the water level drops and the torbeck valve opens slightly to top up the cistern

I couldnt see it letting in water to the bowl unless its doing it very slow so as cant be seen

Sponsored Links
yes is mains fed and reading over 4 bar, will this be the cause of the problem....

Oh how can i overcome the problem and is there another valve i could use
Cheers

The Torbeck will withstand a very high range of pressures.

If you tie up the float (gently because it is very small) and flush the loo, watch and see if there is any water flowing when the valve is tied up, like this intermittent flow you mentioned. There shouldn't be.

Then, let the cistern fill, tie the float up again, and watch the water level to see if it drops (as it might is water was leaking down). there shouldn't be.

Also, look and see where the water level is, compared with the height of the overflow, and tell us.

BoL.

JohnD said:
The Torbeck will withstand a very high range of pressures.

If you tie up the float (gently because it is very small) and flush the loo, watch and see if there is any water flowing when the valve is tied up, like this intermittent flow you mentioned. There shouldn't be.

Then, let the cistern fill, tie the float up again, and watch the water level to see if it drops (as it might is water was leaking down). there shouldn't be.

Also, look and see where the water level is, compared with the height of the overflow, and tell us.

BoL.

when you fill it up and lift the float it waits a few seconds then closes off the water this is on both the brand new torbeck valves, not sure about tying it up will try that over weekend as not at home.
It has an internal overflow but water stops way before its able to go out and loose the water level, it doesnt look like water is leaking out also

The slight cut-off delay is normal with these and not a fault, so I don't think that'll be it. Be interesting to hear what else you find.

ATB

found the Problem, it was a very slow leak on the siphon, was hard to spot but got there in the end..

Thanks all.. ;)

How did you fix it then?
Was it a dirty or broken seal - or a bowden cable issue perhaps?
I have the same problem, re a leak into the bowl and a hiss (and sqeak) - some times it's worse than others - don't know why though - weird.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back