Cannot understand plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in need of understanding the plans drawn up by my architect for a hip to gable loft conversion. Unfortunately my architect isn’t the most helpful person and trying to get a direct response is near impossible.

My main concern revolves around what is going to support the new floor joists and the vertical supports from the purlins. Am I wrong in assuming the new floor joists should be hung between steel beams which should be under the pulins, thus taking the vertical supports from them too? Just to say the current ceiling joists run from top to bottom on the plans (direction of the stairs)

If anyone can throw any light on what the architect is doing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
first and ground.png

Sponsored Links
You need more details, like joist locations and sizes and UB sizes/locations, basically the plans need to be done to building reg spec.

Architect says building reg plans are separate and those are what he is working on at the moment. I was just expecting these plans to show those locations given they specify the beans needed. So does this mean the building reg plans will have more details about joists and the like? Just to say the area outside of the new beams both at the right and top is an old flat roof extension to the bungalow.

Architect says building reg plans are separate and those are what he is working on at the moment. I was just expecting these plans to show those locations given they specify the beans needed. So does this mean the building reg plans will have more details about joists and the like? Just to say the area outside of the new beams both at the right and top is an old flat roof extension to the bungalow.

Yes should do, i had my plans done and they were sent to me all in one go with joist, beam, timber specs/sizes, etc. However my plan was never followed to the book by the builder and the end product is different, still passed building regs.

Sponsored Links
Building Regs plans are supposed to have construction details on them (which are not necessary for Planning plans).
How come you needed planning permission for your loft?

Edit; I see you didn't mention planning perm. so disregard last point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back