Canopy removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're replacing a wooden door with a UPVC one. I was told the canopy needed to be removed before the fitters arrived next week.

KWjEIwq.jpg

I thought it'd be easy - remove some screws and the whole thing should pull away. I managed one screw where a support arm was attached to the fence. The others are proving difficult:

r0x4G0S.jpg

Left bracket/support arm - doesn't look like a screw. If I prise it from the wall, there's a wall plug:
LCz4AGM.jpg

Right arm:
oSJ9HbM.jpg

I'm not sure how or if it is affixed to the top of the door frame:
RGnt0jM.jpg

qRcY3XK.jpg

How do I remove it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So I managed to remove the canopy. The top surface had been nailed down so a pry bar and a little effort managed to prise it off. The brackets or support arms required more effort. Turns out that whoever fitted it used wooden dowel pieces wedged into holes drilled into brickwork on the right and then sunk nails through the wood into the dowels.
The left side, a hole had been drilled and then a metal rod had been taped with electrical tape and half-shoved into the hole. The other half supported the left bracket, which was also screwed to the fence.

Removed canopy:

Y6fZHeu.jpg

Zoomed in:

7Hu4yL2.jpg

Removed plastic trim thing:

MB3zmCa.jpg

My concerns now:

waterproofing until the door is replaced (next week) and making it look pretty after the door has been fitted. What can I use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back