Can't find domain

S

swidders

I set up a home-network using my orange livebox as the hub. Works fine. However, my laptop (XP) is no longer able to access the network. I can see the hub (inventel ADSL), but not the workgroup, and can access the internet as normal (am using it now)

All other machines on the network are fine, and have run network wizard and used a flashpen to try and re-install the required settings. All to no avail. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Any firewalls turned on? Can you access another machine by ip address?

Sponsored Links
Are all the machines on the network connected via wireless ? or wired ethernet ?

Can you give an example of what you are trying to do on one of the other machines please.

Thanks for your replies - will provide details later this evening when I get home from work.

So here's what I've got:

Orange/Wanadoo Livebox with one PC wired into it which acts a print server and data storage through a usb shared maxtor 500 drive. Thus wire access to internet.

All other machines (1 desktop XP media, 1 laptop Vista, 1 laptop XP) have independent wireless access to internet via the livebox, and to wired machine (printer, shared documents etc) via the livebox.

Setup was through wizard and all worked fine until the XP laptop stopped working - still has access to the internet so card is ok, but cannot see any other machines on the network/workgroup. Conversely, no other machine can view the laptop.

Don't know why it suddenly stopped. Have tried re-installing the network via the wizard, but no joy.

Ok, as I uderstand it, all machines have Internet access so this indicates that some kind of network is running.

Just to double check:

Are you using dynamic ip addressing? If so, can you successfully release and renew the ipaddress on the wireless machines? Post all the addresses if you can.

Are you certain no other firewalls are enabled, whether it be Windows or otherwise?

Assuming you have a share created on your wired host, on one of the wireless devices, Click START>RUN if using XP or START if using Vista and type \\hostipaddress, where hostipaddress is the ip address of the wired macchine. What happens? Repeat, replacing the ip address with the machines host name. What happens?

Can you ping an external ip address or hostname from a command prompt on the wireless machines (e.g., PING Google.co.uk).?

ONe thing that occurs to me:

Have you accidentally disbled the 'Client for Microsoft Networks' on the problem laptop? It's in teh properties of the network connection and should have a tick next to it.

Sponsored Links
Back