Cant find door handle size for upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the door handle on a upvc door but the size seems to be obsolete. At first glance it should be a 48pz handle https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/han...ndles/hoppe-48pz-upvc-door-handles-235mm-long but the distance between screws is 195mm rather than 215mm that I can find online.

I could easily dril some new holes in the door but there is a vertical metal bar running from below the lock mechanism to the bottom of the door that would block a screw from passing between the two handles.

Aside from a new door, what are my options?

Sponsored Links
I'd easily drill those holes then, seriously if its through the reinforcing then it won't be a problem

I'd easily drill those holes then, seriously if its through the reinforcing then it won't be a problem

I dont think its reinforcing, it should probably have described it as more of a rod than a bar, about 5mm diameter but right in the spot where the screw would pass through to the other side. As far as I can tell it runs all the way from the bottom of the lock mechanism to the bottom of the door (or as far down as i can peer in)

Sounds like it could be the shoot bolt then but how come this bar doesn't come into play with the original handles, surely it's still in line?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be the shoot bolt then but how come this bar doesn't come into play with the original handles, surely it's still in line?

Yes, you are right, it is the shoot bolt (how these doors work is new to me!). THe shape of the lock and how the shoot bolts attach leave gaps in two key places that line up with where the screws go.

It would appear I may need to replace the full lock mechanism if I cant find a handle of the correct size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back