Can't Get Seal to Cistern Fill Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is doing my head in.

Had a slight leak from the feed to the Fluidmaster fill valve. So just as i did around 8 years ago, popped it open & the fibre washer was shot. Replaced it & re-assembled but it won't seal. Pulled it apart & replaced the washer with an O-ring & that won't seal either. Pulled apart again with a fresh fibre washer & still leaks. Significant leaking past the thread, not just a weep.

Only thing that makes any kind of sense to me is that the plastic shank on the fill valve is somehow worn, but I can't see any nicks or other damage. Any suggestions before I bite the bullet & buy a replacement valve with a brass shank? That would be in hope rather than expectation.

The inlet connector has a collar for the washer to sit on & the washer should seal against the end of the shank.

Sponsored Links
1. Usual issue is that the connector nut has been cross-threaded onto the white plastic shank. Only realistic cure is inlet valve replacement.
2. Other possibilities:
2a. Remains of old fibre washer lodged in connector nut.
2b. Leak coming from cistern and only appears to be from connection. Resolution is to tighten white plastic nut holding valve into cistern.

get one of those soft tapered bung type seals.
if that fails then the cistern is cracked.

Sponsored Links
2E99999B-3A95-4E7F-AAB6-B524D0617834.png
one of those

1. Usual issue is that the connector nut has been cross-threaded onto the white plastic shank. Only realistic cure is inlet valve replacement.
2. Other possibilities:
2a. Remains of old fibre washer lodged in connector nut.
2b. Leak coming from cistern and only appears to be from connection. Resolution is to tighten white plastic nut holding valve into cistern.
I've had the valve out to inspect the mating surface & the backnut came off smoothly, so definitely no cross-threading. Unless the brass nut is cross-threaded, which seems unlikely against a plastic shank.

No debris present.

Can actually see the water pushing up past the thread, that's just gravity fed so not even mains pressure.

Could try one of these if you dont want to replace the whole fill valve.
Not sure how that would help as both existing contact points would remain in play. But the feed is solid copper anyway, so an extension would introduce an angle at best & more likelihood of cross-threading.
get one of those soft tapered bung type seals.
if that fails then the cistern is cracked.
The leak is definitely past the thread & not from the cistern.

Just off to Toolstation for a new valve. :(

I've had the valve out to inspect the mating surface & the backnut came off smoothly, so definitely no cross-threading. Unless the brass nut is cross-threaded, which seems unlikely against a plastic shank.

No debris present.

Can actually see the water pushing up past the thread, that's just gravity fed so not even mains pressure.

Not sure how that would help as both existing contact points would remain in play. But the feed is solid copper anyway, so an extension would introduce an angle at best & more likelihood of cross-threading.

The leak is definitely past the thread & not from the cistern.

make sure it has that type of seal, you wont go far wrong.

Err you what? Only one contact point would remain the other would be new brass.
Introduce an angle and increase the chance of cross threading - How?

Err you what? Only one contact point would remain the other would be new brass.
If the issue is with the plastic shaft then that will still be connected to inside of the extension. If the issue is with the feed connector then that will be connected to the tail of the extension. Hence both of the original contact points would still be in play.

Introduce an angle and increase the chance of cross threading - How?
I probably should have said that feed pipe runs horizontally with an elbow connector to the valve. Extending the shaft would take the feed pipe beyond 90 degrees & create a slight angle to the valve. Hence the increased likelihood of cross-threading.

New valve with brass shank fitted & fingers crossed, it seems to have done the job.

If the issue is with the plastic shaft then that will still be connected to inside of the extension. If the issue is with the feed connector then that will be connected to the tail of the extension. Hence both of the original contact points would still be in play.

I probably should have said that feed pipe runs horizontally with an elbow connector to the valve. Extending the shaft would take the feed pipe beyond 90 degrees & create a slight angle to the valve. Hence the increased likelihood of cross-threading.

Sorry dude but you're wrong on both cases.
Good luck with the new valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back