Car radiator inhibitor: is it corrosive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This evening I was checking my tyres at the petrol station. A rather aesthetically-pleasing young lady (well, she was probably a year or two older than me :LOL: ) pulled up next to me, and asked me where the cap to fill up the water was on her engine. I assumed she meant washer bottle, but she said "No, I want to put some water in the radiator: the engine's overheating" (sounds reasonable to me). So, I pointed out the cap and asked if she had a cloth (she was pretty but not third-degree burn pretty!).

Her rather large but friendly Italian chum (a work colleague, she told me :D ) misunderstood my instructions to just give it a slight turn to relieve the pressure first, and removed it all in one go. As you can imagine, slightly hot radiator water shot everywhere, including my paintwork.

I didn't wash it off, but now I'm wondering if I should have done: is it corrosive to paintwork? Obviously not to bare metal, otherwise it wouldn't be doing it's job! But am I going to find my paint bubbling off in a day or two?

To top it all, the water level was fine (although despite my suggestions to leave it, she insisted on topping it up right to the level of the cap to make sure :eek: :LOL: ), from what I could see it must have been the waterpump.

Anyway, to ask again, will inhibitor solution knacker paint?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
if you are that worried, why not wash your car?

Note time of post :LOL:

Thankfully it started raining pretty heavily not long after I hit "submit", so it ended up being a moot point. Anything nasty will hopefully have been washed off.

It's a silver car anyway, so if it strips it back to bare metal I'll be OK ;)

Sponsored Links
Back