BMW MINI-Air lock in radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wifes' mini has an airlock in the system,the fan seemed to run loud and long after stopping, I asked her when she last topped the rad up ,she replied"Never have done" :cry:. Needless to say the top-up container was empty, I undone the valve/screw on the top hose and let out the bubbles and air until it seemed to leak just water,but the problem seems be re-occuring.Anyone know how to bleed the system as I obviously have not got it right?

Sponsored Links
some are hard to shift,have you re checked the level once the engine has cooled?
a short road run and another bleed may help it but make sure you keep your eye on the temperature gauge

minis are usually a complete cow to remove an air lock. vacuum filling works every time. a garage job i'm afraid. have you removed the filling plug (10mm allen key) at the n/s/r of engine to fill??

Sponsored Links
The mini's have a couple of bleed points, the ones mentioned above and a small 8/0mm bolt towards the front right hand corner of the engine, from what I remember you really need to remove the plastic tray that the injector wiring is attached to in order to get access to this one, careful when you put it back in, if you drop it, it will more than likely end up between the engine block and manifold!!!

Also might be worth checking the bottom corners of the radiators for leaks if it's losing water (common mini failing, metal rad crimped to plastic end tanks)

Back