carbon monoxide-scary fact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.found out recently a fact about CO other than its colourless and odourless.....and its deadly :eek: at first the lungs like it(absorbtion).then as it saturates the blood stream it eventually paralyses the person(s) :eek: :eek: the scary bit is that the brain knows that something is wrong but the body cant move!! :eek: also its accumulative( big word!) in that small doses mount up to so in my opinion check those flames,if the're yellow(sooty) get the fire checked out or the boiler checked.incidentally anybody got one of those CO detectors?not got one myself but will put on next shopping list ;)

Sponsored Links
........so in my opinion check those flames,if the're yellow(sooty) ....

Um......oil pressure-jet burner flames are usually yellow, CO level say 20 to 150ppm. It's arguably a reasonable point you are making, but ventilation (draughts) are a good thing, and how much does smoking contribute? You do have a built in detector, you are likely to get headaches.

C0 is one Gods little jokes, your blood stream loves it and yet it is killing you,
glad to see someone is taking it seriously, get yourself your C0 detector and following fitting instructions carefully

I have stood in peoples house's who have full CH so no problem of keeping warm, and yet when I have shown them thet the gas fire is pumping out all it's fumes they have almost begged me not to disconnect it :eek:, couldn't beleive one womans attitude, 2 kids of her own, 2 kids come round every school day from next door until parents came home, but it was "pleeeeeeeeeese" dont turn my gas fire off, she had CH so was not going to be cold, some folks dont take it seriously until too late.
Have had other customers who do realise after having a nasty scare when they realised they were in danger but there legs wouldn't move and barely managed to crawl to the door, they were lucky.

so i read, CO gives you a headache, and makes your lips turn bright red (its the only blood you can see without cutting your self open) it is also the same density as air so unless their is a through draft CO will just sit there building up, until......................

CO2 (carbon dioxide) on the other hand is denser than air and fills a room from the bottom up, its main use is to put fires out (oh and you can make dry ice with it, which is fun)

Sponsored Links
Yes its horrid stuff. About those "spot" detector things though: they can go dark it seems for a variety of reasons, so tenants in flats get very worried. It's impossible as someone paid by the big nasty uncaring landlord, to assure the tenant that nothing's wrong. Waving digital doo-dahs around cuts no ice - the evil obviously only comes to get you when you aren't looking.

Only solution is to install an elecronic alarm - the sort which last 5 years then you bin them. The REALLY annoying thing about those is that I can't buy them for less than they're being sold in Tesco's, :cry: so I have no incentive to install them. :p

thing with the spot CO detectors they are really usefull (NOT) how are they going to wake you when you are asleep?

A spot detector is a complete waste of time you obviously need to be looking at it to see if you're being poisoned and most people prefer to look at the telly. I do push co detectors (SFI) at just under £40 a piece and sell one a day, but I may be a bit more keen to sell than most as a school friend was killed by co poisoning many years ago from a gas fire.

I too have had people with no regard to their safety or the safety of any visitors to the house...recently was on the receiving end of a harsh rant from the carer of an old lady who we turned off because her flue from a warm air unit was not connected in the loft!

It also frustrates me when you go and service a gas fire, pull out several dead pigeons from behind it, look at the kids pics on the walls, mention the cost and then get barked at for trying to sell pointless upgrades....time for a new tv ad campaign maybe??

those spot detectors-by the time its gone black you'll be black and blue laid out,seem like a complete waste of time :eek: or there's the poor old canary method.seriously though its made me think twice so im gonna invest :rolleyes:

Get a kid....
He came home, sometime back. The local fire and rescue men had been visiting the school. Amongst other things such as feeling a door for heat, crawling on the floor etc. they told of CO and smoke detectors. HE kept on and on at me so I got one....

Now he's on to me EVERY saturday to test the CO alarm and the smoke alarms...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back