Carpet beetle larvae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully this is the right category for posting this.

Unfortunately I've recently started finding carpet beetle larvae. They tend to be around the skirting boards or crawling in the carpet (which contains wool). I haven't found any damage yet but am very concerned about this, especially clothes etc.

I've been vacuuming regularly especially around the skirting boards but am still finding them occasionally. Does this indicate a serious problem?

Does anyone know what I can do that will definitely get rid of these bugs? I'm concerned that there is an infestation somewhere. I'm considering bagging things up. Are there powders that will be effective against them? I'd rather use products that are relatively non toxic, but they need to work.

Sponsored Links
Sprays and powders containing Permethrin, Tetramethrin and similar chemicals are widely available, they are also sold for garden and greenhouse use. If using a spray, I'd recommend leaving the room immediately afterwards to dry, and, after a few hours, returning to open the windows and air thoroughly before re-use. The aerosol cans are poor value.

A product that is designed to poison and kill insects is deliberately toxic.

You might throw away the carpet but you still have to treat the room, and the rest of your house.

I'd recommend wardrobe hangers containing Transfluthrin for you wardrobes and drawers containing clothes. You can get them from places like Robert Dyas in person or by mail order and on ebay. Zero-in is a popular brand. They are deliberately produced in very small concentrations that will be effective in a closed container or cuboard, but will dissipate and break down in a room or exposed to sunlight. If you have woollen clothes, you can put them through a tumble drier, the heat will kill larvae and eggs, but you should then put them in a sealed plastic bag or box with transfluthrin or they will get re-infested. Damage to suits, jumpers, socks etc can turn them into garbage and will cost hundreds to replace.

You can get lavender and cedar scented products. These do not kill the insects but will make your clothes and carpets smell nice when you throw them into the skip.

An upright vacuum cleaner with beaters is more effective at getting the eggs and larvae out. Pull back the carpet and clean under the edges and skirtings. It is especially important to clean and treat under and behind furniture, areas that are often missed.

I don't know how long the life cycle is but you can vac daily for a week or two to reduce the number of eggs and newly-hatched insects before they have time to breed.

probably underlying problems too - kill them now, they will return if the problems are not resolved. Some is attracting them into the house - maybe old clothes in a wardrobe, dead animals in the loft or sub floor etc.

Sponsored Links
I ripped all our carpet up and underlay (bagged it all up and staight to tip).

We tried all sorts for nearly a year nowt worked.

Thinking about it afterwards, when we moved in we had brand new carpets fitted to a bare house, then had a sofa given to use, I believe the sofa had the carpet moth eggs or larvae in it, under it.

I'd seen a few little grubs on my laptop keyboard over the years that was slid under the sofa and never thought anything of it but they were there for a while!.

Luckily never spread to upstairs carpets. We have Quickstep laminate in livingroom and tiled kitchen floor now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back