Carpet going down tomorrow help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay i may be pushing my luck here for carpet going down tomorrow! Pulled up old laminate floor and realised this wont be good for carpet fitter, what's he going to fix the gripper rod too and what goes in the cavity. I pulled a load of celotex out which was fine under the laminate.
Obviously i can't cement the cavity due to damp, but i need a smooth solid surface here which wont show under carper and solid enough to fix and walk on. The brickwork isn't exactly flush with floor screed, bricks slightly lower. Time running out, suggestions appreciated.

thanks in advance.

684s95.jpg

Sponsored Links
You'll not get anything sorted by the time the fitter arrives, just get him to leave a little extra and then you can fit the grippers and trim the carpet when its sorted.

OK thanks and what is the proper way to do it?

Sponsored Links
DPM in trough, backfilled with concrete, insulation and screed to bring level.

Is that French doors? If so create a wooden sill. Just carpet the concrete and fit a nice oak sill after.

I would go with handyman77's suggestion.

I had a similar problem after new French doors were fitted.

Just lay some DPC in the bottom, cut some treated timber blocks to come up to floor level, with a few squirts of silicone to keep them in place while you are working. Then lay a peice of Oak or other hardwood on top fixing it to the flat area of floor with some more silicone, if you ever have a problem it's easy to get the wood trim up with a wallpaper scraper.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back