Carpet over carpet tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a smallish room used as a study, it's currently got carpet tiles which are well stuck down. I'm carpeting it and am thinking I'll put the gripper. underlay and carpet directly over the tiles rather than make a mess ripping them up. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't help but I can sympathise! I have the same problem two bedrooms previous morons stuck them down with evo-stick! i have wondered about doing this myself, I will be interested to see what others say :D

You can't fit gripper over the tiles, so you would need to at least cut the edge of the tiles away, problem is, the carpet will dip at a big angle over the gripper edge and this may result in the carpet lifting off the gripper.

It is strongly not recommended to fit carpet over another textile product.

You should be able to scrape the tiles up easily with a long handled scraper with a sharp, fresh blade fitted. Carpet tiles are easier to lift than many other fully stuck coverings due to their rigid backings.

I had a feeling it was a no-no I had to lift some using a scraper and it pulled out lumps of the wood!
Thinking I will need to hardboard afterwards, might get one of these as I have two rooms to do.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck...p=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=27188

I suppose if you just have a small study it would be worth trying to cut a strip out all round and infilling with a strip of hardboard pinned to the floor and then fix your gripper rod to that to give the correct level. Or use foam backed carpet and double sided tape on the hardboard strip.

Sponsored Links
Yep your on the right track with all of that, shame the person who fitted the tiles used the wrong adhesive, a tack ifficer is more than enough for carpet tiles, anything else is a PITA when it comes to uplift, especially on wood.

You may be able to hire a hand scraper and blades from HSS Hire Shops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back