Carpets over ceramic tiles

S

sparkyspike

Hi

I want to run speaker cable around the perimeter of a room which is currently floored with ceramic tiles. There is no other way across the room. The new owners of the house will be having carpets fitted very soon. My question is, where exactly to clip the cable? How would a carpet fitter normally fix a carpet in this situation? I'm assuming there will be underlay as well as carpet, so would they use grippers glued to the floor and, if so, could I run the cable to one side of the grippers? Or will it be done a different way?

Incidentally, the skirting board is flush with the floor tiles, with no gap :cry:

Sponsored Links
cables should NOT be run under carpets. There are many reasons for this that i wont bother going into! The wires should be treated the same as 240v and be chopped into the wall, but we all know that people wont do that. The other way but still not to clever is to remove a skirting board and run behind there or drill through the wall if detached and run around the exterior of the building.

If non of these are a option then you will have to run around edge of the gripper. They need to be the edge of the gripper furthest away from the wall where the underlay will but up against.

Cheers matty.

I really have no choice here - period skirting, fluted alcoves and expensive coving is making this job a nightmare! It'll have to go between underlay and gripper I'm afraid.

could cover them with some plastic cable covers and just butt the underlay up to them

Sponsored Links
could cover them with some plastic cable covers and just butt the underlay up to them

There used to be a special plastic trunking made to do this but you cant get it any more. The problem with using the trunking avalible now is it is a little to thick and lifts the carpet off the gripper.

Unless you know of a really thin trunking the same thickness of gripper? If its thinner than the gripper it is also no good.

I could flatten out some 1" PVC channeling, that may do the trick. Otherwise I could use flat cable with self adhesive tape underneath. ?

its not correct but if the cable is not some massive stuff then the carpet fitter could do what we call ' double bank ' which is two lots of gripper around the edge and put the cabble between them so its protected, to be fair 'double bank ' gripper is a better and recomended method of installing certain types of carpet (woven). Either that or glue it to the gripper with a 'hot melt gun' .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back