Fitted Carpet Right or Wrong way.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Looking for a little bit of advice..
we went to a local carpet store a couple of weeks ago & ordered a new carpet + underlay + all new grippers & door gripper..

upon ordering the woman asked if it was a wooden floor or concrete floor to which we said it was concrete... so she priced the job up & we paid her....

Then Today we had the carpet fitters out to fit our room carpet & even though we paid for grippers all they have done is glued the underlay to the floor & then glue the carpet to the underlay & not put grippes down at all.. I questioned him about this & he said this is how they do it now on concrete floors even though I told him id paid for grippers in the store.. they didn't even want to put a new door gripper down even though I told them I wanted one as id paid for it..

is this right or wrong as iv never had one fitted like this before.. PLUS what happens if we decide in a few years to have a new carpet but keep the underlay as it was the dearest in the shop.. the carpet is now glued to it.. its going to damage it when pulling the carpet up... ?

thanks for any advice given...

Sponsored Links
im sure it will separate if/when you change it.when we have new carpets at work,the fitters do the same thing and ive seen them pull apart the 2 fairly easily.but saying that its the cheaper end of the market we have fitted.

check your paper work to see exactly what youve been charged for and i would be ringing them up and demanding a refund of money.

:( Looking for a little bit of advice..
we went to a local carpet store a couple of weeks ago & ordered a new carpet + underlay + all new grippers & door gripper..

upon ordering the woman asked if it was a wooden floor or concrete floor to which we said it was concrete... so she priced the job up & we paid her....

Then Today we had the carpet fitters out to fit our room carpet & even though we paid for grippers all they have done is glued the underlay to the floor & then glue the carpet to the underlay & not put grippes down at all.. I questioned him about this & he said this is how they do it now on concrete floors even though I told him id paid for grippers in the store.. they didn't even want to put a new door gripper down even though I told them I wanted one as id paid for it..

is this right or wrong as iv never had one fitted like this before.. PLUS what happens if we decide in a few years to have a new carpet but keep the underlay as it was the dearest in the shop.. the carpet is now glued to it.. its going to damage it when pulling the carpet up... ?

Well firstly I hope for your sake it was not carpetright you shopped at - once they have your money they lose all interest in you!

to answer your question.....

hopefully by "glue" you mean spray adhesive - if so YES it will lift and separate quite readily - if not then lifting it will damage the underlay and maybe the carpet too

In a domestic situation gluing down is unusual, also I suspect you were charged extra for the grippers to be stuck down (usually the day before), I further suspect that the fitters took liberties

You should complain MOST loudly to "the shop" you used and insist that the job is done correctly. This will involve a new piece of carpet which is because the piece you have will probably have been cut to short to now be refitted on gripper

Sounds like he's done a durafit system to me
That's when you tacky adhesive to subfloor for the underlay then glue to the up underlay.
That's not what you paid for.
Did they use adhesive trowels to put the adhesive down?
I would play hell with them. I hate that place with a passion.
They ruin the carpet trade by ripping people off and over charging for carpets.

Sponsored Links
thank you for taking the time to reply to this..

No the shop wasn't carpetright but yes they did use spray adhesive to lay the carpet..

i'm a bit annoyed as when asked in the shop what we wanted I did say "ALL" new grippers even door gripper as the old ones had been down for years & most pulled up from the floor when taking the old carpet up..

anyhow iv since been on the phone to them & explained how its been fitted and she told me that all carpet fitters have their own way of fitting carpets & she's guaranteed me that if anything at all goes wrong with it they will come out & sort it out free of charge.. so I guess now only time will tell..

thanks again..

they all have there own way off fitting is not an answer really
they are subcontracting the work out without dictating your requests
in other words they pass the work on without any conditions you have requested or thats the way it seems

thank you for taking the time to reply to this..

No the shop wasn't carpetright but yes they did use spray adhesive to lay the carpet..

i'm a bit annoyed as when asked in the shop what we wanted I did say "ALL" new grippers even door gripper as the old ones had been down for years & most pulled up from the floor when taking the old carpet up..

anyhow iv since been on the phone to them & explained how its been fitted and she told me that all carpet fitters have their own way of fitting carpets & she's guaranteed me that if anything at all goes wrong with it they will come out & sort it out free of charge.. so I guess now only time will tell..

thanks again..

when updating a room folk always rip the gripper up - Why??
.........unless it is damaged leave it alone!

"she" (the shop) is wriggling out of satisfying your complaint properly - do not accept it. Your contract was not with the fitters but the shop. You paid for stuff you haven't got. I also suspect that the fitting will NOT stay looking too good for very long.
You should be insisting on the whole job being done correctly and as paid for
Dazlight and big-all are both correct too

:(

I've done carpet on concrete floors like this several times. We stick down foam underlay with tackifier, and the carpet to the underlay with F3 adhesive trowelled on. Occasionally we use spray adhesive in the odd area if carpet won't stay down, but not the whole floor as theres very little play to kick the carpet into place with spray glue. Besides, the fumes in a domestic sized room would be interesting.
One of the fitters I worked with did glue grippers around the edges of a double-stick install as well as he said it was a superior finish (though in this case we were going against skirting board, normally we go against a short carpet upstand which gives more room for cutting errors around the edges.)

However as you've paid for grippers, even if they weren't needed I'd be complaining.

If you peel the carpet up now the chances are the underlay will come with it and salvaging the carpet involves a lot of manual labour with a hand scraper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back