Fitting carpet grippers and underlay to stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I will be having new carpet fitted to my landing and stairs in the next few weeks and I would like to prepare the stairs ready for the carpet fitters.

At the moment the stairs are completely bare, so I will be fitting carpet grippers and underlay and I have a few questions. I've done a search and found some old threads but they are over 10 years old so i'd just like to make sure techniques haven't changed.

1. Should carpet grippers be fitted to both the bottom of the riser and the back of the tread.

2. What should the gap be between the carpet gripper and the riser / tread.

3. Should both grippers point into the corner of the stairs (Where riser meets tread).

4. Should the underlay be fitted from gripper to gripper. Or just extend past the bull nose.

Thanks for any help

Matt

Sponsored Links
Your stairs are ready for the Carpet fitters , they will place gripper and won’t thank you for a botch job which will slow them down.

Your stairs are ready for the Carpet fitters , they will place gripper and won’t thank you for a botch job which will slow them down.
You may have nothing better to do with your time than sit on this forum and write utterly useless comments but I have better things to do than read them so if you'd kindly jog on.
Also I wouldn't worry about the quality of my work as were not all as incompetent as you clearly must be.

If anyone has any answers to my above questions then I'd appreciate them.

You may have nothing better to do with your time than sit on this forum and write utterly useless comments but I have better things to do than read them so if you'd kindly jog on.
Also I wouldn't worry about the quality of my work as were not all as incompetent as you clearly must be.

If anyone has any answers to my above questions then I'd appreciate them.
Whether you like it or not my comment was accurate and I am extremely competant. Considering the question my reply was very reasonable.But don't take my word for it ask your carpet fitters opionion.

Sponsored Links
Carpet fitters will install the grippers and everything else.
That's what you are paying them to do.

Got to say I’ve taken off quite a few grippers off stairs which were put on by customers and bad fitters.

But yes Grippers to treads and risers , gaps depend on the carpet going down.

Underlay gripper to gripper always to stop any heel and toe wear

Got to say I’ve taken off quite a few grippers off stairs which were put on by customers and bad fitters.

What was wrong with them?

I have 3 steps to a bathroom that I want to carpet. I won't be getting a fitter in. What mistakes should I avoid?

Cut to short on the length is the main one. Because most people cut the gripper in half but it doesn’t reach the sides. Should be approx 4mm from each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back