Carpeting stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i need to change the carpet (on the stairs only) in my house. i have never fitted carpet before! the instructions i get on the internet aren't always the same so i'm getting a bit confused... so i have a few questions:
(1) has the underlay got to be the same width as the carpet itself if the carpet covers the whole of the stair width?
(2) has the underlay got to cover the riser as well as the tread or should i cut it where the riser meets the underneath of the tread?
(3) if the underlay has to cover the tread and riser, does it have to be cut at the edge of each gripper strip?
(4) Do you have to cut the underlay angled from underneath the nosing down the face of the riser?
(5) Do you need to staple the carpet along the top of the riser or not?
(6) i've allowed some extra width so do i cut the carpet to size once it is all fitted? (The steps aren't all the same width as the top step is narrower than the bottom one)
Thank you for any help you can give me

Sponsored Links
The gripper gap between the two grippers should be 3/4 the thickness of the carpet when bent double. The gripper pins should point to wards the crouch of the step. Next your underlay should go from gripper to gripper and secured with staples. ( should be stretched ) Cut 5mm short on either side. You should cut a run of stairs with a straight edge before fitting, if you have no more than 5mm run out on the stairs. If more than 5mm run out you may have to do each step separate. Cut the stairs net if woven carpet and a little bit big ( 3mm ) if secondary backed carpet. Cut to your biggest sized step if no more than 5mm difference. Curl the edge of the carpet before fitting. You should start fitting at the bottom of the stairs but for a diyer you will find it easier to start at the top. You need a blunt wide bolster. Push the top step into the crouch of the step and onto the gripper making sure the carpet is running straight. Pull the carpet down tight to the step below and push into the crouch of this step with the bolster. Start from the middle and work your way out. Follow up with hitting the bolster with a rubber mallet to push and stretch the carpet onto the gripper. Also your pile of the carpet needs to run down the stairs. Easy :rolleyes:

thank you for your reply that helps already. the carpet i'm hoping to fit myself is woven (partly wool) but i'll take off the old carpet on the last few steps and have a go at refitting it onto the steps so i don't ruin my new carpet!
but i was also thinking: do i need to hire a knee kicker? how hard is it to use? if i only use a bolster will i still get a clean finish? also, what sort of underlay should i go for? and finally, when using more than one section of carpet (i'm doing 4 steps at a time and i will probably start from the bottom step and work my way up), do i curl the edge everytime i fit a new section and fit the gripper on top? thanks again. Naima

Naima - is your staircase enclosed or open (does it have spindles). If open then you will have to turn the edge under itself by maybe 40mm (so you will have to add this to the width being cut). If you don't fold under you'll be left with a raw edge which you will see everytime you walk past the staircase. Underlay will have to be cut narrower to accomodate the fold.

Sponsored Links
you have lost me when you say fit gripper on top? Anyway best to look how done already. You curl the width of the carpet where it hits the side of the stairs. When i say curl you are only just doing the edge so that the pile sits in the 5mm gap of the underlay. You only need a knee kicker if starting at the bottom and working your way up. I would suggest you start at the top and work without a knee kicker. Much easier for a diyer and you will get a better finish. Starting at the bottom takes skill and knowledge of what you are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back