Carpet Underlay, Grippers etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a room just under 3.9m and 4.9m so we have a new felt backed carpet which is 4m x 5m ready to be fitted and also a hall way which is 4m x 1.5m. We are in the process of buying all the items like underlay,grippers, door bars etc but wanted to know if my list below will cover both rooms or should i order more of any of the items below

Is the type of gripper rod below ok for felt backed carpet as i wanted a gripper i can use with other type of carpet for future use?

Living Room 4m x 5m
Hall Way 4m x 1.5m
5 Doors
1 Sliding Door with UPVC Strip at bottom

Items on List to Order

2 x 15sqm Underlay Roll
1 x 3sqm Extra Underlay
1 x Box 36m Stikatak Medium Pin Dual Purpose Carpet Gripper
3 x Spray Ashesive Can 500ml for Underlay - Coverage per Can: approx 30m2 For Carpet Underlay
4 x Stikatak Standard Gripper Adhesive 310ml - Per Tube Coverage 14m @ 6mm Bead
2 x Single Edge Carpet Door Bar 0.91m
3 x Dual Edge Carpet Door Bar 0.91m
1 x Z Section Door Bar for Sliding Door UPVC bottom to Carpet 2.7m

Sponsored Links
Looks ok, double check with whoever is fitting that the spec of gripper and adhesives are what they are used too. The gripper is not strictly speaking correct, felt back should be laid on a specific felt back gripper but many people use medium pin all the time with few issues.

Many Thanks

I phoned my fitter and he said medium gripper should be fine. So is felt back ok with this type of gripper then.

I am sticking the gripper down ready for him so should be ok I think.

Is 5mm the correct width from skirting?

Chris

Medium pin can be used, felt backs aren't designed for use with pinned gripper though, the proper gripper is almost like a Velcro to grip the felt.

Having said that, medium pin can be made to work with a bit of experience and adhesive :)

5mm sounds about right, usually when sticking and pinning gripper, use full lengths, if you are sticking but not pinning the gripper to the floor, you need to cut it into 8 inch strips and glue each piece individually.

Sponsored Links
Fitters will usually use kickers to keep things straight etc no matter what, and if your fitter is happy with medium pin, then don't worry, all will be ok.

If you was to fit yourself would you use a kicker still?

Am just worried we will be able to feel the gripper though the carpet

Chris

The fitter will use a kicker, he will need to, as for the pins, you should be ok unless the carpet is very very thin pile.

Hi

Received my felt back gripper rods today should I use sample of carpet to measure gripper from wall when sticking. Some tell me 5mm others say 10mm for felt back.

So if i use a small bit of sample of my carpet as a guide which is around 5m deep.

So just under 5mm will be ok then

Chris

yep.

Your carpet seems VERY thin tho. A good felt back will be 5mm thick before they actually attach the felt to the carpet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back