Transition from carpet to ceramic tiles. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am tiling the dining room, using ceramic floor tiles over 12mm marine ply, screwed at 300mm centres. This is all on chipboard floating floor. Once it is finished the floor will be quite a bit higher than the adjoining rooms which have fitted carpet and underlay. (12mm ply, 6mm tiles plus adhesive layer)

Anyone got suggestions for door strips? At present there is a standard carpet to carpet strip which will have to come up. I have looked in all the big DIY stores and 12mm seems to be the biggest rise on a carpet to hard floor (designed for laminate really).

I suppose I could use regular wooden carpet gripper for the carpet side then cut a wooden strip between to screw a flat door strip to at a sloping angle, but I would have thought someone would have come up with a solution for this by now.

If anyone can suggest an alternative supplier or idea I would be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
I found a strip in b & q when I did my bathroom. The final difference in floor levels wasn't as bad or didn't feel as bad as I expected considering the build up on the bathroom floor. It might have been designed for laminate nut seemed to work ok.

The best way to go is to get a nice piece of oak or similar. If you know any half decent woodworkers, they'll be able to graduate it so that it gently slopes down. The carpet can be butted up to this as normal with gripper. The best way to fill the gap between the tiles and the wood strip is to use a metal t-bar that silicones into place. These are quite hard to get hold of and will cost you in the region of £17 + carriage for a 2.5m length. STS at Leeds stock these tel.0800 7818384. If you're anywhere near Bradford I've got a 1.8m length (brass) left from a job that you can pick up from me.

You need a (zig zag) or sometimes called ( z edge) metal carpet to laminate strip. They are designed to be bent down or up depending on what you lipping it onto. For the thickness you need, you will have to sit the base ( with carpet spikes in it) onto a peace of 6mm plywood. B@q/ homebase etc sell them or just pop into a local flooring shop and ask for one. Cant go wrong then.

Sponsored Links
no offence mattysupra but i used one of those but after about a year the z part had become sprained and started to break so i had to replace it with something else. Maybe i didn't fix it quite right but i wouldn't get one again.

They have been out for maybe 10 years now and i have never come across one that has failed in that way. I use them every day to. Maybe you had a cheap copy of the ones i use? Cant see it being a fitting problem as you cant really fit them wrong. Gripperods are about the best quality make for these.

Cheers for all your replies. Had a quick look at the gradus world stuff freddy, some cracking things in there. Will have a better look later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back