CARPET TILES INSTALLATION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m planning on laying carpet tiles onto the plan attached photograph?
Where is the best place to start as they are going to meet on the angle as the room is not rectangular?
The floor is concrete painted with floor paint will the Tackifier be ok on this?

Attachments

• IMG_0137.png
    IMG_0137.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
I would start to the far right wall and fill all the way through to the left which will then leave diagonal cuts to infill and then top up the last section with full tiles and more diagonal cuts to the edges. Make sure you dry fit the tiles 1st to try achieve equal cuts around the edges so you don't find yourself dealing with a thin rip at one side and a 3/4 size tile at t'other. If the floor paint is sound and not peeling or missing then the tackifier should be good but read the manufacturers advice to be sure.

I would start to the far right wall and fill all the way through to the left which will then leave diagonal cuts to infill and then top up the last section with full tiles and more diagonal cuts to the edges.
I'm just wondering if it would look better if the full tiles started from the left side of the room?
Without seeing the full plan, it looks to me as if the main entrance is on the left, and only cupboards and ducts are on the right. The main axis of the building also appears to line up with the left side.
It may look strange walking into a room with the tiles already on a diagonal?

I based it also on the double doors being the main doors from the landing / hallway area as they would be square on from that entrance. It is a six and two three's job and neither way is wrong so just a matter of preference of the OP.

Sponsored Links
I based it also on the double doors being the main doors from the landing / hallway area as they would be square on from that entrance.
Good point, I didnt read those as double doors and (probably wrongly!) took it as being blocked up.
It may depend on what the OP discovers on the day! :)

Thanks for your advice -the main door in use is the door on the top left beside the emergency exit-the double doors will be used less but the parcels area will also be fitted with carpet tiles.
I was thinking right to left as this will be the bigger section then infill with diagonals.
Ive attached a better plan.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.png
    IMG_0139.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Right to left (top to bottom) of the pic seems to make sense but why use off cuts to infill the gaps left by the diagonal angle in the middle of the room? I'd cut a full tile on the angle to fit the flat edge of the tile so it has a fuller appearence on the floor...

Right to left (top to bottom) of the pic seems to make sense but why use off cuts to infill the gaps left by the diagonal angle in the middle of the room? I'd cut a full tile on the angle to fit the flat edge of the tile so it has a fuller appearence on the floor...
Who mentioned offcuts ? The advice was to use the diagonal cuts once the full tiles are laid which would also maximise the use of tiles if you are lucky and get two cuts from a tile.

Thanks for your suggestions makes sense to go from the right -my only other idea was to go from right and left and have a triangular section where both sides meet but mabye wouldn’t look the best in the middle ?

my only other idea was to go from right and left and have a triangular section where both sides meet but mabye wouldn’t look the best in the middle ?
I had wondered that, but given the odd angles involved, it may look odd.
The only other suggestion I have - draw out a rough grid on the plan, and see how it looks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back