Carpet Underlay - Which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As many of you all know VAT is going up to 20% on January 4th and my wife and I are looking to re carpet the whole house pretty soon to save some ££

I've got so many questions but the most important saving one i've found is the underlay !!!

We went into Carpet Right and the underlay is almost as expensive as the carpet @ £6.99 per sq.metre for some cheap rubber waffle which feels horrible. They wanted £12.99 for the better foam stuff which i feel is outrageous. They make the carpet sound cheap, but then its obvious they make their money from the underlay, gripper and accessories.

I've been doing some research and i found this internet company selling all brands of underlay - Wilsons Carpet Underlays;
Buy Carpet Underlay

After doing tons of research on the web i found the best underlay you can get for the soft feeling underfoot is called Cloud 9 Cumulus and its first quality @ only £2.50 per sq.metre !!!

Wondered if anyone else knew of any better? I can't seem to find any.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
cloud 9 Cumulus is to thick and actually cause the carpet to wear.

If you want to use a cloud 9 range then go for cirrus. Cloud 9 is a very good underlay tho.

Be very carfull buying off the internet. There are alot of seconds out there. You may not know and i can promise you that your floor fitter wont tell you when in installing as this will mean a unpaid job for them!

Personally i would go to a local carpet shop. Get a quote from carpet right and take your quote with you. You may be supprised that 99% of small retailers will better the price if you are looking at a good carpet to start with. However you will find most small places will tell you to return to carpet right if there selling you crap carpet as they wont want to deal with your complaint in 6 months time.

As for fitting the underlay yourself. Dont bother. You maybe on a budget but i can promise you that most installers will do it for you for reasons i cant be bothered to go into (will be a long post!)

Slip the fitter a £10 and he will be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back