Cast Iron Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what paint i could use to restore a cast iron bath, white? could i use radiator enamal?

Sponsored Links
Why don't you buy one of the kits made especially for the purpose of restoring bath enamel?

I did consider that, but felt that 40 odd pound for a bit of paint and sandpaper was very excessive!!

At the end of the day surely enamal paint is enamal paint?

Sponsored Links
Why would you pour boiling water over yourself???

Dont the radiators get hot? and surely the enamal doesnt then melt off? Water is very unreactive, you could use car spray and a laquar as you spray cars with boiling hot water when you wash them and nothing happens, I dont see what would be special about bath enamal paint?

would welcom your views

andy2306 said:
would welcom your views
All you've done so far is argue, so I'm wondering in what way, precisely, you would "welcome" anyone's views here.

My view is that you should go ahead and use what you want to use.

Softus said:
andy2306 said:
would welcom your views
In what way, precisely, would you "welcome" anyone's views here - all you've done so far is argue.

I woudnt say he is arguing, they are valid points.

Softus said:
andy2306 said:
would welcom your views
In what way, precisely, would you "welcome" anyone's views here - all you've done so far is argue.

Same way ! :rolleyes:

Diyisfun said:
I woudnt say he is arguing, they are valid points.
My view is also that the OP should use what you advise him to use.

andy2306 said:
Why would you pour boiling water over yourself???

Dont the radiators get hot? and surely the enamal doesnt then melt off? Water is very unreactive, you could use car spray and a laquar as you spray cars with boiling hot water when you wash them and nothing happens, I dont see what would be special about bath enamal paint?

would welcom your views
OK fine then; why ask, just go ahead & use it or why not use Dulux, it's cheaper!

Im sorry i didnt make myself clear, im selling my current house and its rather let down by a very yellow cast iron bath, i was planning to change the whole bathroom, but never got round to it, i.e new tiles, flooring and suite. However ive decided that a bit of hard work and £20 i can make it look 20x better.

Im looking for a short term fix for a sale on my house. So the fact that no-one seems to be able to answer my question of what is special about bath enamal paint compared to other enamal paints i will go ahead with my £6 restoration, if i can work out how to post pictures i will post a before, after and in 6 months time if my house hasnt sold.

PS I didnt argue with anyone, it seems some were quick to say i couldnt without giving a sensible reason why not! simple as that.

Richard C said:
andy2306 said:
At the end of the day surely enamal paint is enamal paint?
Until you pour boiling hot water onto it!
listen to richard c as he is right if you paint it with ordinary oil paint at some time with the boiling water it will lift the paint and it is also dangerous for health reasons there is a special bath enamel for the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back