exterior gloss paint , can it be matted down?

T

thatbloke

ive got some b and q exterior one coat gloss , its a mallard blue. i used it for a cast iron toilet cistern. i now would like to paint a cast iron bath the same colour but gloss wont look right on a cast bath , can i tone down the gloss of this paint somehow?

Sponsored Links
There is little you can do to take the shine off gloss by mixing something in it. Even adding the same colour undercoat may not do it. As its inside why not paint the bath then use a satin or matt varnish over the top ?

excellent idea , il give it a whirl (on a test patch first) , cheers fella.

I once heard that putting Talcum powder in will deaden the shine :idea: Also, I`m jealous of your Cast Iron Cistern :LOL: I`m trying to get one @ a reasonable price

Sponsored Links
I once heard that putting Talcum powder in will deaden the shine :idea: Also, I`m jealous of your Cast Iron Cistern :LOL: I`m trying to get one @ a reasonable price

could be an idea , it would probably need to be mixed pretty well to avoid it coming out patchy , perhaps mix it with some thinners first?

keep an eye on e bay with the 'nearest first' option selected , people dont like to post cast cisterns.
i got mine for 20 quid. Also try and get the flush pipe as these were sometimes made for that particular type of cistern and some are not interchangeable , or you could get one made up from copper or brass.
they do look nice when restored though , well worth the effort.

P091109_1906.jpg

P091109_190501.jpg

P091109_1905.jpg

although finding the rest of the fittings for a period bathroom can be a bit of a task , it took me months and months of searching to find my edwardian taps and towelrail.
these guys usually have nice stuff though.

http://www.antiquetaps.com/

these guys usually have a lot of stuff as well.

http://www.leorec.co.uk/bathrooms.htm

you could try mixing it with undercoat say 40% gloss 60% undercoat.
or buy eggshell/satin wood.

That certainly looks nice - you get the authentic CLUNK with those too :LOL: - And get told off if you flush it in the night ;) Thanks for the links . I just got a nice freestanding iron rad today - just right for the alcove by my computer . Easy to plumb ( my trade) a sod to paint :cry: though. Whole house is gradually timewarping back to the `20s. Good luck with yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back