A few queries re exterior white gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to obtain quotes to repaint my exterior windows and doors.

Having spoken with the paint rep at my local local Brewers paint shop, he advised me that Dulux were experiencing a number of problems with their new 2010 formula exterior Weathershield gloss paint. Most concerns were regarding the gloss going yellow.

Can anyone in the trade confirm this or recommend an alternative durable exterior gloss? To be fair, the guy did say that Dulux are aware of this problem and that all of the paint manufacturers are having to move to lower VOC formulas and that similar problems may arise with their paints as more people use them over the summer.

He recommended Permoglaze gloss as an alternative. What are you thought's on this? Alterntatively, is it still possible to get hold of the old formula Dulux paint?

one contractor has recommended using normal gloss. Is this recommended? Finally, when obtaining quotes should I be asking for two coats of gloss?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you could try sandtex, they do an exterior quality gloss. But, If I were you I would trust the guy at brewers/bacons. If it is the one in Nuneaton, I used to work there for 9 years, and Aidan, the guy there, knows what he's talking about. :D

Permaglaze is a very good gloss, has been around since the year dot. Very hard finish but dries a little slower. There is nothing wrong with using normal gloss paint. Exterior gloss just has a few more key ingredients in it that makes it last a touch longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back