What is the best white gloss to use indoors at the moment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best white gloss to use indoors at the moment?

I prefer the finish obtained by oil-based gloss, but I do not want it to yellow very much. I can accept feint yellowing, but not the kind of deep yellow experienced after the 2010 voc changes.

So, this is the criteria;
1) Must not yellow too much over time.
2) Must be glossy.
3) Must not go streaky after time as SOME water-based wood paints can.
4) Must not show the brush marks too much as some water-based wood paints can.

Have Dulux got their oil-based white gloss right now? About 4 years ago someone I know used oil-based 'blue top' white oil-based gloss, and looks great to this day.

I should point out the rooms in question have windows so there should be a reasonable amount of natural light.

Sponsored Links
All white oil gloss is now yellowing. None of it goes as fast as it did in 2010 but it will be magnolia coloured within 12 months in the darker corners of your room / behind furniture. I feel your pain, but I have given up on white oil gloss.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so which water-based white gloss is THE best?

I've heard many disturbing comments on water-based white gloss, like after time goes streaky, or virtually 'disappears', or it's too thin, or it dries too quickly, or it leaves unacceptable brush marks.

What should I use for a decent, long lasting white finish??

I believe they all leave brush marks unless you add Floetrol. I don't know about the other things (I use wb silk rather than glosss now).

I'd second Floetrol, around 7%. Denib well and use a good undercoat, at least two coats and at least two coats of gloss. Give a quick brush down between coats with some 400 sandpaper. Work fast, little and often on your brush from one side to another. Really thin coats are better than thick as it sags quite easily and drips and it's a pain to sand down. Buy the best brushes you can afford, Purdy are good. Be expected to replace them though, even the best brush cleaners stop working on them after a while with WB. Doors, doors are another thing. Like Gerry said brush marks are a pain and they really show up in doors. I'm currently attempting to spray mine but it's a steep learning curve to be honest.

I researched this to death and ended up using Johnson Aqua white gloss. I did an interior door recently and it looks great but it has a different kind of gloss look to the oil based and I dont dislike it - looks kind of clean and bright. Seems to go on ok but not as flowing as the oil based, I did take the door off and had it on trestles though which made a massive difference with regard to runs.

I researched this to death and ended up using Johnson Aqua white gloss. I did an interior door recently and it looks great but it has a different kind of gloss look to the oil based and I dont dislike it - looks kind of clean and bright. Seems to go on ok but not as flowing as the oil based, I did take the door off and had it on trestles though which made a massive difference with regard to runs.
Is that Johnston's Trade matz? Heard nothing but good things about Johnston's and think of switching from Dulux.

Is that Johnston's Trade matz? Heard nothing but good things about Johnston's and think of switching from Dulux.
tis yes. loads of positive reviews on google for this product...

Did you use a roller for the doors or brush?
best quality normal brush but one with synthetic bristles quite stiff and springy. The only thing with painting a panelled door that I found tricky was that the edges didnt keep wet for long so that when I did the rails I had to stop the paint where the rail end joined the stile. By the time I started painting the stiles the paint at the end of the rails had started to go off so you can see brush marks slightly running into the stile against the light when you look at the door. Still a nice job though but I wouldnt trust it not to drip on a vertical surface hence I took door off and did use Johnstons undercoat. Got it from Johnston paint centres. I'm not a pro as you can prob tell:unsure:

best quality normal brush but one with synthetic bristles quite stiff and springy. The only thing with painting a panelled door that I found tricky was that the edges didnt keep wet for long so that when I did the rails I had to stop the paint where the rail end joined the stile. By the time I started painting the stiles the paint at the end of the rails had started to go off so you can see brush marks slightly running into the stile against the light when you look at the door. Still a nice job though but I wouldnt trust it not to drip on a vertical surface hence I took door off and did use Johnstons undercoat. Got it from Johnston paint centres. I'm not a pro as you can prob tell:unsure:

Sounds like a good technique.

The best water based gloss and satin is Benjamin Moores. Google them for a stockist. Not cheap but the best. Water based paints have come on a long way as well as brushes. I use Fossa Viper trim brushes. Very good.

The best water based gloss and satin is Benjamin Moores. Google them for a stockist. Not cheap but the best. Water based paints have come on a long way as well as brushes. I use Fossa Viper trim brushes. Very good.

Is that the Advanced? https://benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/products/advance-waterborne/

Do you find it yellows at all?

http://www2.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-contractors/yellowing-of-alkyd-paints

I've read although it's water based it's different to the latex/acrylic paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back