Re-gloss living room woodwork -choices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded down the skirting, architrave and doors which were painted white gloss
Some is back to bare wood in places

I want to repaint in white gloss

1 should I prime the exposed wood?
2 should I just prime everything ?
3 undercoat the primer?
4 is oil based gloss less likely to yellow compared to water based?
Any recommended brand?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No expert here but I'd definitely prime the bare wood, and to avoid any possible shadows I'd tend to prime the lot.
Then undercoat the lot
Then gloss. Only water-based gloss I ever used went on really easily & looked nice for a year, then it didn't yellow but just started looking cheap and shabby. The other rooms (which I did in oilbased gloss) looked lovely for about 15 years. Weirdly, yellowing is a function of how much daylight the paintwork gets- the more light, the less it yellows. (NB This was obviously a while ago before all the relatively recent changes in paint formulae)

Only spot prime the raw timber. Undercoat everything after that. Oil based gloss and satin will yellow within a few months as the chemicals that keep the paint white have been taken out due to European legislation. Water based finishes stay white for a lot longer.

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend priming with an oil based primer (e.g. Zinsser Cover Stain) which is compatible with painting over with water based top coat and top-coat with a water based gloss. Unless you can get hold of some old formula oil based topcoat which will not yellow, you're never going to achieve quite that 15+ year durable shiny knock resistant result, but the durability is also affected a lot by the primer used. I can see the difference between skirting boards I primed with Zinsser Bulls-eye 123 (water based) and water based gloss (scruffy after 1 year) and the ones I primed with Cover Stain which has held up far better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back