Non drip or standard gloss - exterior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double garage painted with white gloss paint on exterior ply to prepare and paint - nightmare! I have hot air stripped the gloss off but have left most of the undercoat. I plan to sand it down then paint bare sections with primer. Undercoat the whole area then I'm not sure whether non drip gloss would be ok or if I should use standard stuff. Do I need to sand between coats? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Your plan sounds OK.

Personally I wouldn't touch the non-drip gloss, go for a normal gloss and, if there is a lot of flat area, put it on with a roller - a 4" foam could do it, but if you can find the 4" mohair rollers you get a much better finish, roll on a couple of sq ft at a time and lay it off with a brush. Much quicker and you get a smoother finish - also less likely to get runs.

I'd do 1 or 2 undercoats and 2 gloss. Give it a light sand after the undercoat(s) 120 grit plus.

Your plan sounds OK.

Personally I wouldn't touch the non-drip gloss, go for a normal gloss and, if there is a lot of flat area, put it on with a roller - a 4" foam could do it, but if you can find the 4" mohair rollers you get a much better finish, roll on a couple of sq ft at a time and lay it off with a brush. Much quicker and you get a smoother finish - also less likely to get runs.

I'd do 1 or 2 undercoats and 2 gloss. Give it a light sand after the undercoat(s) 120 grit plus.

Thanks. So no need for sanding between the two gloss coats? :)

I use weathershield (dulux) quite alot with good results and im certainly no painter :D

Sponsored Links
If your going to sand between gloss coats, and there's no probs with that....you might need a few days at least for the first coat of gloss to dry properly. use wet n dry with water and gently sand it to get rid if any nibs. Thin the last coat of gloss down a little more than normal and it will flow on and give a nice finish.

Aye, thats the only problem with gloss, takes a while to harden up enough to sand.

If you're using oilbased eggshell (internally), it hardens up much quicker and you can generally denib the next day.

I've just read info. from Third_Eye who said that using one coat gloss paint, but requiring 2coats for adequate cover, doesn't work as that's shiney paint on shiney.
Also that liquid gloss paint is better but should be diluted 10% with white spirit. :confused:
So, my coclusion is that I should use liquid gloss exteriorly diluted with 10% white spirit, one coat. This, over 2 coats of undercoat with a light sanding between the undercoat and the gloss? :) Hopefully I've come to the right conclusion.

Sounds OK, though personally I wouldn't dilute the gloss, if its too thin you're more than likely to have problems with runs. Trade gloss tends to be a lot thinner than the sheds.

This topic is developing arms and legs!! I went to B&Q and read the tins. I'm home with Weathershield exterior preservative primer for wood. Following one coat of this the tin says to put 2 coats of Weathershield exterior satin which is self undercoating. It is touch dry in 2hrs. How does this sound? I still have the receipt so can exchange the paint.

Touch dry in 2 hours, sounds like its water based. I wouldn't use water based stuff outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back