Not sure of Dulux Primer - plus other help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone give me some advice on preparation before painting a hardwood
front door using Dulux Non-Drip Gloss.

My front door (that I haven’t brought yet) will be hardwood.

It faces direct south, on the coast. I wanted to use Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss
for extra protection, but they do not do the colour we want which is ‘Windsor Blue’.

The colour we want only comes as: Non-Drip Gloss

For extra protection I was going to give it 3 coats.

JUST A FEW QUESTIONS

Preparation;

Dulux Non-Drip Gloss says it is “self-undercoating”, but they do not do just a primer.

This is what they offer;

Primer & Undercoat for Multi Surfaces

Primer & Undercoat for Wood
Dulux Primer & Undercoat for Wood has a Quick Dry formulation which is convenient
to use. It is suitable for most interior and exterior new or bare wood. Not suitable
for highly resinous wood.

Weathershield Exterior Preservative Primer
Weathershield Exterior Preservative Primer+ (BP) from Dulux penetrates deep into
wood to seal and protect against water damage, decay and blue stain fungi.
Suitable for use on all types of bare wood. Guaranteed to provide 6 year weather
protection, when used as part of the full Weathershield exterior paint system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ideally I want to use the Weathershield Exterior Preservative Primer,
but can I take the chance?

What if it doesn’t bond properly with regular gloss paint?
(I’m not bothered about the 6 year guarantee).

The next best is Primer & Undercoat for Wood, but as the gloss paint has a built
in undercoat, will this be okay?

Can I get away with applying the second (and possibly the third coat) without
having to rub down between coats?

It has been a long time since I painted with gloss, should I still use just a regular
decent brush?

Any advice and help welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
You have to use aluminium wood primer over a hardwood.

Then if you want to use dulux weathershield use the appropriate u/c for your gloss. You will be able to get windsor blue mixed up in a trade shop such as Brewers or a dulux decorating centre. I'd suggest two undercoats then one top coat, two certainly wont hurt but obviously if its not time critical you can afford to do as you wish. You must adhere to the drying times and then some as it can be slow drying, stir the paint well and often as pigment seperation causing streakiness is a common (ish) problem with Dulux WS. For best results wet abrade between coats and use a decent brush like a purdy.

BTW if you stir and thin non drip gloss it becomes more like a liquid gloss

:D Thanks dcdec.

I'm so glad I posted this as I had no idea about aluminium wood primer over hardwood. Could have been an expensive mistake.

Do you mean by 'stirring' will thin the paint OR should I add a thinner?

If so, recommendation?

If possible I would like the door to shine, so converting it to liquid gloss sounds the ticket. I'm not fussed about non-drip.

Do you mean wet Emery cloth to rub down between coats?

Many thanks

Stephen

Non drip gloss is whats called thixotropic, it says on the tin do not stir because in them becomes 'un' thixotropic which basically defeats the point of it being non -drip but in your case thats what you want, thinning it down a bit will also help to break it up a bit, i'm sure though you'd be able to get it mixed into weathershield in a dec centre if you like.
Yep, wet abrade you'd use wet n dry paper like the car body guys use, you can buy it in halfords, be sure to wash the door down to get the slurry off after abrading. For a high gloss finish several thin coats are better than one thick coat.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back