Exterior Wood Paint: Dulux Weathershield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to paint my new front and back doors and frames using the Dulux Weathershield Exterior range...

Weathershield Link
232323232%7Ffp533%3C%3A%3Evq%3D3289%3E%3A47%3E859%3EWSNRCG%3D3237%3B2878%3A928vq0mrj

If I was using Gloss, everything is straight forward... "Dulux Weathershield Exterior Preservative Primer +" followed by "Dulux Weathershield Exterior Undercoat" then the "Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss".

The Dulux Weathershield Exterior Satin I want to use, however, states that it is self undercoating. The undercoat tin (above) states on the front it is for the Gloss.

Will I get a better finish if I use undercoat? Its an expensive new front door so I want it the best finish I can get. I guess I really want to make sure that I wont get a worse result if I ignore the instructions and use undercoat with the satin finish.

Also, two coats of undercoat and two of satin?? Any other tips for a first-rate finish?

Many thanks for your help.
Dan

Sponsored Links
You can use the undercoat if you want too. most satins require no undercoat on previously painted wood. sand down ,and, or wet and dry using water between coats will give a mirror finish.

Hi the dulux preservative primer is intended for 'Bare wood'only, it wont stick to paint. if you already have primed doors skip the preserver or just touch in any bare /eposed edges. The undercoat acts as a primer over the preservative, so if you started with bare wood 1) preservative primer, 2) undercoat = prime coat, from here if your using satin use two coats of satin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back