Painting outside

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Got an outside to do next week,weather permitting. Got some Dulux Weathershield exterior gloss. The question is can I get away with using ordinary undercoat ( Dulux or Johnstones ) or is that a big no no and therefore do I need to get the Dulux Weathershield exterior undercoat. Aint cheap is it?

Sponsored Links
I think the exterior gloss is one of those ones that lets the wood breathe?..if so its not going to be any good to you if the windows have bene painted before..it will be ok...but wont do the job its meant to do.

Interesting question that . I use w/s mostly on exteriors, feel that like the redec im doing just now (done with w/s 7 yrs ago) if it had been done with normal paints then it would have been all cracked/ flaking. (ohh for some good old lead based paint) Cut to the quick;;; I think using normal unders under weathershield gloss is no good as normal unders wont flex like weathershield.

I asked dulux if w/s gloss had gon 'Micropourus' thaey said it had always been :confused: But do recall back in 85 when it first come out that the blurb was decrying the breather paints (ranch and suchlike). I asked as I sometimes come across bubbles in the old gloss and when puntured, water comes out and wood is saturated behind the gloss :eek: so I can't see how it can breathe?. But there again if it was normal paints then it would have all cracked and flaked in 18 mths
I normally get about 6 /7 yrs with w/s Might be more if people would let me do a maintenance check every yr :LOL: :LOL:

Firstly: The gloss is brilliant stuff.
Not a chance that Trade weathershield is microporous. If you ask Dulux they say that All they're products are breathable. :LOL:
I've used Dulux Quick drying primer/undercoat "waterbased" on a front door followed by Weathershield gloss and its perfect today.
The boss, in the DDC shop told me that it would be no good plus there was a painter in there at the time, that said you shouldn't use waterbased undercoat outside.

Theoretical claptrap.

The only time it ever said it was microporous was on the retail undercoat and that was/ is waterbased, so no wonder it's microporous.

And don't give me that mvp hogwash either. :LOL:

So to sum up: Yes you can use a different undercoat, but it's not as good as the Trade Weathershield as this is super stuff.

Sponsored Links
Long time since ive used the W/S stuff..but back in the eighties the unders was very oily and didnt cover particulary well..so what is the selling point of the w/s system them?..is it flexibility?

When the w/s stuff came out didnt you have to use the full sysytem?..i.e. that bluish primer (that used to bleed through the first coat of undercoat...then undercoat then the gloss?..in order for it to work to its maximum?

It never ceases to amaze me how these paint companies make certain claims about their products all based on 'doing it by the book' yet as we all know there are other ways of doing things..I have a rad here..I gave it two oil based undercoats (sposed to be a 'no no') and two water based gloss'es (again...another 'no no' apparently) and its absolutely solid to this day..

Ive use thinned out pliolite as a primer on bear wood on an outside fascia board..then straight on with the gloss...(only because the scaffold was coming down the following days and I didnt have enough time to do the full system)...still solid after 15 years.

Emulsion on rads..I wont do it unless they already have emulsion on there..but how many house do we go in when the customer has emulled a factory finished rad and it is perfect..??

Funny ol world isnt it... :rolleyes:

Long time since ive used the W/S stuff..but back in the eighties the unders was very oily and didnt cover particulary well..so what is the selling point of the w/s system them?..is it flexibility?

:

The reason I went for w/s at the time; The traditional way to finish an outside was one unders and two gloss (koff) with 'modern' paints.
The weathershield sytem was supposed to eliminate the need for two gloss coats. But erm this seems to be all forgotten by Dulux if you read the blurb which suggests two gloss :rolleyes: I remember they(dulux) used to brag that the undercoat brush could be left out overnight and never go hard.. Perhaps the reason they changed it to solvent based acrylic (ffks ) was because if the undercoat was put on in a quick drying breeze the top skinned over and when the gloss went on ===wrinkles grrrrrr.. had fun there as the reps decended on the job lol.

Nowadays I dont touch up any bare areas with the primer as you say the blody stuff bleeds through. Though new baere wood I use the 3 coats system. I reckon this is the only way the system will work proper (from bare new).
Yeah this rad here I walloped over with the wall emulsion 4 yrs ago as it is ging to be replaced (erm sumtime ) and it's solid too :confused: wtf can u doo lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back