Painting a picket fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably a really stupid question but anyway...

I've got a new picket fence arriving soon which I will prime and undercoat and then gloss white. I have a tin of standard dulux gloss in the shed - can I use this or should I get some Weathershield exterior gloss?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
is this fence going to be outdoors and exposed to, for example, rain and sun?

use a breathable stain.

is this fence going to be outdoors and exposed to, for example, rain and sun?

use a breathable stain.

Yes it will be outdoors and exposed. Can you recommend a suitable stain?

I don't know a white one :(

They are usually tinted but translucent. I use the water-based shed and fence ones in various shades of brown. On my front door I use an oil-based one but it would not withstand the weather that a fence will get.

Sponsored Links
You can't go wrong with Dulux weathersheild primer, undercoat and gloss. It is microporus so will let the wood breath. I'm assuming that the fence is planed wood and not rough sawn! You will also have to use knotting on all the knots in the wood prior to priming.

I think that the weathersheild paint system comes with an 8 year guarantee if applied correctly. ;)

I'm always going on about it, but use white Sadolin Superdec gloss. It's for wood. It's like a stain but gives an opaque finish like ordinary gloss (it can also be used over previously painted surfaces).

It's waterbased, very quick drying, doesn't need knotting, primer, undercoat. Just three coats (though two may do it).

And the best thing about it is that it lasts for years, doesn't yellow, and doesn't flake off later on.

Easy.

I'm always going on about it, but use white Sadolin Superdec gloss. It's for wood. It's like a stain but gives an opaque finish like ordinary gloss (it can also be used over previously painted surfaces).

It's waterbased, very quick drying, doesn't need knotting, primer, undercoat. Just three coats (though two may do it).

And the best thing about it is that it lasts for years, doesn't yellow, and doesn't flake off later on.

Easy.

Looks like a good product but never used it myself. Do you know of the longevity of this product?

I've attached a data sheet for the OP to read.
http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/attachments/8cb864dde28d3a62bc0c2f60c6df4363.pdf

Don't forget that the wood should be treated with the relevant preserver prior to application.

Easy.

Looks like a good product but never used it myself. Do you know of the longevity of this product?

I've attached a data sheet for the OP to read.
http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/attachments/8cb864dde28d3a62bc0c2f60c6df4363.pdf

Don't forget that the wood should be treated with the relevant preserver prior to application.

An example is an old exterior door I painted. The wood was weathered yet not rotten, and I painted it many times over 20 years, yet it always blistered in the same places in less than a year. The preparation was always good.

So, last time, with the usual sanding down, I used Sadolin Superdec, and eight years later there is not a blemish on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back