gloss paint problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, I have a problem with some gloss paint.I built some units and tried to paint them.
I gave them a light rub down with glasspaper, then a one coat gloss.(johnstones).

My problem is that the finish is...well....blotchy to put it nicely.

I dont know what to do next, do i sand down and re paint?

do I just repaint on top?

should I sand back to nothing and start again with an undercoat then a gloss top coat?

its non drip,one coat gloss and the surface is chipboard mixed with white deal as the frame. The white deal took the paint no problem but the chipboard looks really bad.

not sure if it makes a differance but the colour is blue (am making a tardis for my son)

help please.

Sponsored Links
Did you use an undercoat or primer before painting with gloss?

If not then I'd guess that's your problem and it's probably necessary to rub right down and start again, using a primer or undercoat first.

One of the pro painters and decorators will probably be along later and will be able to advise further.

Regards

Fred

nope, no undercoat or primer. The guy who served me said i would not need it. :oops:

Sponsored Links
The thing is with one coat gloss is that it tries to undercoat and gloss at the same time which it cant do, They tend to be like treacle to make them cover in one coat and this can cause sagging and runs. the chipboard is quite porus and would need a primer coat to start with. more thin coats are usually better than one thick one. And dont believe the men in the shops cos they probably looking at the back of the tin. Experience counts! :)

ermm, upon reflection i remembered that i did not actually tell the guy in shop that it was new wood. my flaut. :oops:

went back and got primer, plus picked up a cheap sander to correct the previous mistake.

ready now to put on coat of primer. thanks for the help folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back