1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Gloss catastrophe!

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Dylan123, 2 Feb 2020.

1. Dylan123

Dylan123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I have a fireplace with 2 wooden raised platforms either side. They were a horrible mahogany so I decided to undercoat and gloss them.

I did so but I stood on them today painting the wall and obviously they aren’t dry! Look at the picture, the gloss has kind of blistered....

my wife actually wanted me to gloss it a different colour but not sure if I can gloss on top of this!

also. I tried the mantle piece in gloss no undercoat and these same blisters appeared after I sanded it ready for undercoat. I’ve put 2 coats of undercoat on and the blisters still show (it’s the picture which is white paint, that’s undercoat on top of the aborted gloss coat)

so what do you do with these gloss “blisters”?

help!

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. pete50

pete50

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's reacted badly with whatever you painted over. You should have taken the wood right back to bare wood and then painted it. Even taking it back may not, completely, get rid of whatever the previous coating was. I think you are going to have to do it all again.

4. magicmushroom666

magicmushroom666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't say its reacted if its just dented where your shoes have pushed on it, I think you'd be able to sand out those problem areas then paint the whole lot again. How long it'll take before you can sand it I have no idea, I painted a door with gloss and ended up leaving it for a few weeks before even attempting to sand it, the oil based stuff takes a long time to dry!

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links