I thought gloss was supposed to be durable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We opted for gloss because of this, plus we like the finish it gives.

Painted one windowledge. Didn't do it properly but i don't think it'll have too much to do with what's happened.

Went: Sand down working to fine grit, oil based undercoat (crown), water based non drip satin (crown). Then decided we didn't want satin so sanded down & went 2x coat water based gloss (Johnstones Aqua). Sanded between coats too.

On other stuff i've painted i've gone: sand down>primer>undercoat>gloss (all water based & all sanded between coats).

So the final gloss coat was Saturday. I put my keys down on the ledge yesterday. Picked them up & it'd left fine silver marks on there. Some will rub off but some wont.
As said, i didn't throw them, i put them. So i touched the ledge with one of my keys & it marked it.

Pretty poor.

There is a glossy/silky finish on the ledge in the bedroom & i touched this hard with my key & it didn't mark it one bit. The wife reckons this is oil based gloss as there was a tin left in the shed when we got the house.

Is this a problem with water based gloss? It gives the look but not the protection?
Is gloss protection overhyped nonsense anyway?

Just wondering why it marked so easily.

Sponsored Links
I always think you're better off using one paint system throughout rather than mixing oil based u/coats with water based top coats and then going over with a completely different system again.

I haven't used any of the water based paints lately but I would be inclined to leave it all for a couple of weeks to fully cure and see it your key test has the same result. It may simply be a case of a light rub down and recoat to cover the marks you have just made, but leave it to fully harden before you try any tests

Maybe it is that then (leaving a long time). It can't be the layering up with different systems since i tested another piece that is totally a water based setup. I put my key on an inconspicuous section & it still marked it. IIRC i finished that bit a few days before the windowledge. Try again in a few weeks i suppose.

As suggested above, the crucial thing - with either oil based or water based trim paints - is that paint be allowed to cure properly before you use/touch it. You cannot expect to put it on then leave some keys on it soon afterwards, even if it is dry to the touch.

I also agree about not mixing paint systems but that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem here.

Sponsored Links
As suggested above, the crucial thing - with either oil based or water based trim paints - is that paint be allowed to cure properly before you use/touch it. You cannot expect to put it on then leave some keys on it soon afterwards, even if it is dry to the touch.

I also agree about not mixing paint systems but that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem here.
I wasn't sure what length of time we were talking for the "cure properly" status.

I know the tin says a few hours for drying & i knew it took longer than that for it to fully set/harden/really dry, but i didn't know how long that was.

Few weeks should suffice i imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back