Water based gloss nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just spent all week sanding, priming and glossing two flights of previously varnished stairs. Last night I noticed everywhere else is painted with satin! I’ve done 2 coats of a water based gloss, and was going to do a third coat today (back permitting!) until I realised my mistake. Quite annoyed. Anyway, does anyone know how best to put satin on top? I’m hoping (beyond hope) that because it’s a water based gloss I won’t have to to sand everywhere down again and I can just put a water based satin coat on top and everything will be ok. Can anyone please advise me? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately have to give it all a light sand and then 2 coats of satin

It will only need a light going over, so not as much as before you painted, just want to scratch the surface.

It needs to be right otherwise it will just go sticky and start peeling

I do while heartedly sympathize with you though.

Sponsored Links
This is the problem you have now as because it's now gloss you'll need a decent key for the satin. You may get away with one coat of satin, especially on the spindles but I'd at least put 2 coats on the hand rails.

I've never found water-based gloss to be all that glossy, so it may not look too different to the water-based satin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back