Repainting bannisters over water based.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I painstakingly painted our varnished staircase about 4 years ago. Light varnish then Zinsser bin and water based gloss on top.

It’s got a bit bashed since then with a few chips and scratches back down to the (old varnished) wood.

I’m going to go over it again. I can’t remember what gloss it was but it was def water based.

I was thinking of a light sand again and then straight over with a water based satin this time.

questions:

1 is that the best approach?
2 what is the concensus these days on the best water based satin? When I did it 4 years ago there was a lot of opinions.....

thanks for any help tips!!

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you apply undercoat first, don't Gloss or Satinwood without doing so. If wood has been painted with Satinwood in the past, then you can paint Satinwood straight onto it again without an undercoat as Satinwood is self undercoating. If it's too yellow, it may not come out as white so may need coated again.

Regardless, we always say to customers that Satinwood everything is grand but handrails should always be glossed as Satinwood gets dirty off hands.

When you sand wood and the Gloss starts to come off, looks as though it skinned/never stuck, that's Gloss straight on an old topcoat without an undercoat.

Johnstones Aqua gives a nicer finish than Acrylic.

I hope all that made sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back