Painting over water-based satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You live and learn by your mistakes, but for quickness, I did my new skirtings, facings and doors with Dulux water-based satin paint. I'm really disappointed with the finish - brush strokes galore despite doing my best not to have any and to be honest, it looks like it's just been undercoated.

Is it OK to try and use an oil-based satin or gloss over the top of the water-based stuff and what would my preparation be?

I guess I'm going to have to rub it all down to try and smooth out the brush-strokes, but do I just then use an oil-based undercoat and then top coat?

(Wish I'd just used oil-based at the start).

Also, I've previously used Crown gloss which I got from B&Q on my hallway - only 6 months ago - and it's seems to be discolouring already.

Any recommendations on what kind of paint to use that will keep it's whiteness a bit longer than that?

Sponsored Links
If you get brush marks then you have got a problem with your technique. You have to brush it out until the bulk of the marks have gone then gently brush side ways. Then as lightly as possible lay off with the grain again. As it is you'll have to sand it back with about 80 grit but it has to be that good quality green stuff. Use a sanding block too. When you've got it nice and smooth you'll probably get away with just a top coat as the water based stuff is very similar to acrylic primer/undercoat.

Thanks Joe-90. Some bits are actually OK but other bits are awful - so yes, it must be m y technique. Just doesn't seem to be so forgiving as oil based.

Sponsored Links
It's not. It's all to do with surface tension. If you drop water on your worktop it sits in a ball. If you drop oil it spreads. Same with water and oil based paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back