satin paint for interior woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can help with a way forward for finishing some skirting/doorframes.

Everything is undercoated with dulux trade undercoat (oil based).

I would like a satin finish. Can anybody recommend a good satin paint? I've read reviews on a whole host, and it seems most oil-based satin turns yellow pretty fast, and most water-based satin is not very durable.

Also, if I went with a water-based how should the surface be prepared? I assume I can't just put water-based paint straight over oil as it won't adhere well?

Sponsored Links
Recently just had my wood work re painted and the guy I used was using and raving about Armstead Trade paint, apparently its the identical product as dulux however priced for the trade and in a different tin. You should just be able to go straight over the undercoat you have already done in one coat with this.

Quite like Armstead stuff. As its basically the same as Dulux trade Satin, it will also yellow relatively quickly I believe.

Considering Armstead quick-dry (water based) Satin as I believe it can go straight on after a good rub-down, but just worried about the durability factor.

Sponsored Links
Quick update. Just out of curiosity I put some old water based satin I had laying around over a bit of the oil undercoat on a piece of scrap. I only let the undercoat dry for about 6 hours. Had a go at it with my fingernail today and it seems pretty strong. Anecdotal evidence but I was expecting worse!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back