Water based undercoat under satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have inherited a lot of wood panelling which has been painted with a matt finish. Tried using water based primer undercoat but it seems to make our top coat (Johnstone's water based satin) dry too quickly. I always avoid oil based paint but know how good oil based undercoat can be. Is there a good water based undercoat that provides a nice smooth surface and not quite so matt... I feel it will provide a better key for our water based satin.
Hope you understand my problem

Sponsored Links
The first coat of satin on top of acrylic undercoat is always a little tricky. Best thing is to get it on quick with a quick lay off. Then , when dry, a light sanding down and you should fine the 2nd coat goes on much better

We have inherited a lot of wood panelling which has been painted with a matt finish. Tried using water based primer undercoat but it seems to make our top coat (Johnstone's water based satin) dry too quickly. I always avoid oil based paint but know how good oil based undercoat can be. Is there a good water based undercoat that provides a nice smooth surface and not quite so matt... I feel it will provide a better key for our water based satin.
Hope you understand my problem
you would be better off using johnstones aqua guard satin as your finish coat, the aqua guard is fully water based but it behaves more like oil when applying so you get time to work with it and it dries to a great finish with no brush marks. it does have its own undercoat but i use zinsser 123 .
The water based satin that you are using is probably the old hybrid formula so not actuallly fully water based and believe it or not it does yellow eventually unlike the newer aqua guard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back