Water based satin and undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of questions (and I'm sorry if they're really dim ones :oops: ) but I'm decorating the kitchen just now and went and got water based satin paint for the woodwork - I went and forgot undercoat and wondered if I could use white emulsion to undercoat (I'm working on the fact they're both waterbased!). The reason I picked water based is cos some of the woodwork was already painted with water based and the rest is new - just put on new skirtings and facings (pre-primed MDF). Also I'm thinking of smell and drying time.

I got Crown Solo satin, by the way.

Next question is (before I start), should I ditch the water based and go and get oil based?

Sponsored Links
The water based stuff is good inasmuch as it dont smell, dries quick and is non yelowing...

I dont recommend you use emulsion as a base though....just go straight on with the satin..you may need to thin the first one a little over the pre primed MDF as the primer can sometimes be a bit porous and might cause the paint to drag a bit as your putting it on

Painting over existing waterbased stuff will be fine, just give it a good rubba dub first with fine abrasive paper...and dont forget to dust it down first.

Firefox is still excellent btw

Thanks. I've never used the water based stuff before but I'm on a tight schedule - the bloomin floor is going down on Friday and I've got to paint and paper before then, so I was hoping it would dry quick. There are some marks on the MDF stuff - are they likely to show through the satin?

And I'm glad you still like Firefox - it's brill - though I've never upgraded from version 1.5!! As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it and I get on grand with version 1.

Can't believe I'm decorating in this heat. It's incredibly hot and humid up here.

Oh, with you saying the MDF stuff might be porous, would I be better sealing it with a PVA solution first?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!...LEAVE THE PVA ALONE PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Just thin the crown stuff, ...well..try it first, it might be ok, no point in thinning paint for the sake of it...however, crown does come up a bit sticky sometimes.

As for the marks..impossible to say Al..thats like asking 'my walls are a sort of creamy browny colour..will one coat do'....

Try touching up the marks a couple of times first then painting over the whole lot...in this heat satin will be dry in about 20 mins

And try a couple of bottles of cold stella to keep you cool!

Sponsored Links
OK, so I take it that I don't seal it with PVA then....................... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm the founder member of Bodgit and Scarper, you know!! ;) ;) I managed to skim a small part of a wall with an icing spatula (well, I didn't have a trowel!) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Suppose I'd better go and get papering - the longer I put it off, the longer it'll take to do.

Thought I was gonna need an emergency trip to B&Q tonight if you'd said water based was totally crap.

And I've no cool booze - only half a bottle of Bailey's that's not cold. Even the Pepsi hasn't been in the fridge. It's sad. :cry:

Wonder what me papering would look like if I finished off the bottle of Baileys.................... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've got a couple of questions (and I'm sorry if they're really dim ones :oops:

Next question is (before I start), should I ditch the water based and go and get oil based?

Are you sure your Crown Solo Satin is water based :?:
Really sure :?:

I'm the founder member of Bodgit and Scarper

I think one of their directors posts on DIYNnot sometimes.... :rolleyes: .... :evil:

I've got a couple of questions (and I'm sorry if they're really dim ones :oops:

Are you sure your Crown Solo Satin is water based :?:
Really sure :?:

Now I don't know......................it says to wash the brush out in detergent, so I guess it is water based.

Hang on, I'll go and look........................

Yep, says to wash out the brush in hot detergent solution - does that not mean it's water based?

I think I've picked the worst bit to start on - I've only got 4 strips of paper up - but one strip had a light switch on it, one had a carbon monoxide detector on, then the door, then a flippin double socket and the door.

Never mind, straight run now. If I'm lucky, I'll be finished by morning..... :rolleyes:

Look on the side of the tin...it will normally say 'water based' or 'acrylic'

Another giveaway is where it says VOC if it says low its water based..high is oil

By the time you get that room done in the morning youll be ready for some of that salty porridge thats popular norf of da border...

Me..being a soft sothern jessie...prefers raisins in it...or a blob of Jam :D

Cant stand porridge I'm afraid.

I only function after two cups of coffee in the morning and don't do food before noon.

Back to the papering - coffee break is over........................

Well bugger me! The Crown Solo has a high VOC so it must be solvent based.

When did you start to be able to clean your brushes with hot soapy water when using solvent based paint????

Back in the 70's when non drip came out...the predecessor to the one coat gear.

Good job Le' Growl raised that one..

You can get a water based satin., its called..quick drying satin

I doubt if the solo will do those new mdf bits for you..it might..it might not, I find the pre primed stuff still need a rubba dub in the mouldings..and that tends to expose the bare mdf..id still give them an acrylic undercoat first..then use your solo.

When I used the MDF mouldings before, I rubbed it down, undercoated it, rubbed it down and then used one coat (and that was solvent based!!). Even though it's supposed to be one coat, I always undercoat first - maybe a bit of overkill.

Now time is really against me for the floor on Friday. Undercoat and paint.

Guess I'll be up half the night again tomorrow (after I've went and got the undercoat!)

It shouldnt be a problem if you use acrylic undercoat..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back