Appropriate undercoat for water based satin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have some pre primed MDF, and some door frames that have been stripped down to bare wood.

I am going to paint them with a Crown water based satin paint, and on the back it was recommended that I go over with an appropriate undercoat. I bought some Crown undercoat that stated it was suitable for Satin topcoats but I'm pretty sure it is oil based given it's high VOC content and smell. After applying and letting it dry it would appear that the satin topcoat is not properly adhering and will scrape/chip easily. What a waste of money!

Can anyone tell me what undercoat I should buy? I can't afford to buy the wrong one again and never use it.

The topcoat is going to be Crown Quick Drying Satin, which I'm pretty sure is water based. Would something like the following work (so that the topcoat sticks properly and doesn't scrape off)?

http://www.decorating-supplies.co.uk/Crown-Trade-Acrylic-Primer-Undercoat

If not, has anyone got any recommendations for an appropriate undercoat?

Sponsored Links
Its acrylic so would be fine, give it a couple of coats especially on the stripped frames so the timber can have a drink, and don't forget to seal the knots with knotting solution

Nice one Dcdec, thanks for the tips.

Just to confirm, just in case I can not find this exact one in my local B&Q, could I use any water based undercoat for wood? They do an own brand primer/undercoat which is water based.....I just want to make sue which ever one I buy the topcoat sticks to it properly.

Well i would avoid the diy shed own brands but any water based primer/undercoat is technically ok

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate. Really can't afford to get this wrong again. I will see if they have any Crown/Dulux ones but if not then I might order off the net.

I saw you mentioned Floetrol in the other thread, I have some of that so I'll use that as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back