Oil based paint recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am thinking about re-painting my skirting boards with oil based paint, they are currently painted in water based paint. I prefer the finish of oil based however I know it eventually yellows but water based doesn't. Also with having kids the skirtings get knocked about a bit and marked and its hard to wipe off marks but with oil based they are better to clean.

Can anyone recommended a cheaper alternative gloss or satin oil based paint to Dulux (trying to save money :) ) I would consider Crown if thats cheaper.

What prep is needed to paint oil based over water based paint?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
You must be mad to go back to oil based.

Water based satin is really good these days.

Sponsored Links
no problem! I tend to use Johnstones acrylic undercoat with both oil and water based top coats. If you go down the solo route you may not need to undercoat as it is self undercoating. Depends on the state of the existing!

It'll be yellow within a week or two. I've warned you.

I recently repainted all the wood work in my en suite with johnstones water based satin finish. The existing paint was dulux satin wood oil based. It went yellow in a few months and looked awful. There was not a lot of natural light in the room so it turned yellow real quick.

I will certainly think twice before using oil based again.

I wouldn't bother undercoating as suggested, I would lightly sand the existing paint then apply two finish coats straight over. I would only undercoat if the wood was new.

It'll be yellow within a week or two. I've warned you.

For once I agree with him. Don't do it! You'll feel you are living in a pre-smoking-ban pub before long.

Dulux Diamond Satinwood is as tough as oil-based if you allow it to cure for a week or two before starting to kick it.

As to cost - you have presumably spent hundreds of thousands buying the property itself. Why skimp on a few quid for the trim paint? The difference between painting all the window frames and skirting boards and doors in a 4 bed house in cheap drippy gloss, and painting them in good stuff (Johnstone's w/b) is about £40, plus with the cheap stuff you will end up re-doing it all sooner in any case. False economy.

Go for the good stuff.

Thanks for all the replies, you've all been very helpful :)

I think I will stick to the water based paint, the Johnstones stuff sounds decent. I've never considered Johnstones before for glossing and there is a centre near to me. Also I have loads of water based primer and undercoat left which would be very useful for when I fit new skirtings boards. Is the finish/sheen of the Johnstones stuff just as good as the oil based equivalent?

As to cost - you have presumably spent hundreds of thousands buying the property itself.

Only £53k :D Ex-council house!

Thanks

Phil

Thanks for all the replies, you've all been very helpful :)

I think I will stick to the water based paint, the Johnstones stuff sounds decent. I've never considered Johnstones before for glossing and there is a centre near to me. Also I have loads of water based primer and undercoat left which would be very useful for when I fit new skirtings boards. Is the finish/sheen of the Johnstones stuff just as good as the oil based equivalent?

As to cost - you have presumably spent hundreds of thousands buying the property itself.

Only £53k :D Ex-council house!

Thanks

Phil

Oooops sorry, double post.

Internet Explorers fault!

Phil

No - DIYnot's fault for failing to reveal how to delete posts! I have been asking how to do so, for ages. It's like shouting up a drainpipe.

Good luck with the painting, anyway. You want Johnstone's Aqua acrylic gloss or satinwood. Use a good quality synthetic brush such as a Purdy. If you're doing large areas e.g. doors, it's quicker to apply with a 4" microfibre roller, then lay it off immediately with the tips of the brush in an even stroking movement following the grain of the wood. The working time is less than with oil-based, so if you're struggling to keep a wet edge, add a small quantity of Floetrol (up to 5%) to the paint. The manufacturers say it's not needed, but it does work and helps eliminate brush marks.,

The finish is not going to be the same as with oil-based, but overall the advantages of w/b (non-yellowing, non-smelling, non-carcinogenic and quick drying - you can apply two coats in one day) outweigh the disadvantages. I quite like the look and feel of the satinwood in particular - it's very smooth and calm.

Perhaps when the big paint companies get their act together they will produce a w/b trim paint which looks and feels just like the old oil based ones - but it'll be a while yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back